Follow these simple step-by-step instructions for creating your 3-Minute Thesis video using Panopto, Yale’s video and lecture capture platform. For a more detailed explanation click here and refer to our Panopto tutorial here .If you have any questions please contact Brian Frenette at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Below are instructions for adding your slide AFTER you have recorded your presentation. You also may record your slide while simultaneously recording your presentation. See instructions here under part 4 (Select Screen and Application Sources) and in our Panopto tutorial here starting at 5:44. If using this method, you must be in Powerpoint’s full-screen slide show mode.
Record Your Video
- Open a Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser ONLY.
- Log on to Panopto using your your NetID: https://medialibrary.yale.edu/
- In the Home window: Click on the Create button and choose Panopto Capture. This will open up a new window.
- Check your audio and video inputs and click the red button to start and stop recording. Don’t worry about precise timing, you can trim your video afterwards!
- Wait for the video upload and processing to be completed.
Edit Your Video and Add Your Slide
- Return to your Home window. Click on My Folder on the lefthand menu to see your videos.
- Hover near your video and choose Edit.
- If desired, trim unwanted content from the beginning and end of your video. It’s easy – see instructions here! Be sure to click Apply at the top when finished.
- Choose Slides on the lefthand menu, and click Add a Presentation. Choose your PowerPoint file. Your slide MUST be in Widescreen format. Once uploaded, click the ‘+’ on your slide to add it to your video. Then click Apply!
Format and Output Your Video
- Go back to the Home window. When the video has finished processing, choose Settings and then select Outputs in the Settings menu.
- Under the picklist for Type, choose Tile All Streams and click Apply. This option will produce a video with with side-by-side, equally-sized images of your slide and presentation. Your video MUST be in this format.
- Once the processing is complete, you may view and download your video!
For more tips with Panopto, see Panopto’s user guide and support site.