The Office of Career Strategy & the Graduate Writing Lab hosts Information Sessions for students to learn more about the 3MT competition, including insight from past participants. Schedules are announced in early January. Watch examples of other 3-Minute Thesis presentations
3-Minute Thesis Examples
- Videos of past finalists from Yale’s 3-Minute Thesis competition can be found in the Community Spotlights below.
- View videos of 3MT winners from around the world here.
Review These Online Tips
- “How to Win the 3MT” from Inger Mewburn, Australian National University
- 3MT Competitor Guide, University of Queensland
- Effective use of the 3MT slide, Vitae
Attend a Workshop
To help you create a potentially winning presentation, OCS and the Center for Teaching & Learning holds a number of workshops and special advising hours. Selected workshops that were offered for last year’s participants are listed below. Please consult Yale Career Link for the complete list of offerings.
- PitchVantage Studio Info Sessions
- 3-Minute Thesis Competition Introduction & FAQ session
- Presenting Engagingly in the Humanities/Social Sciences – Crafting a Short Story of Your Research (CTL)
- Career Lab: Telling Your Research Story (OCS)
- Presenting Engagingly in the Sciences – Crafting a Short Story of Your Research (CTL)
- •Presenting Engagingly in the Humanities/Social Sciences – Creating Effective Slides (CTL)
- •Presenting Engagingly in the Sciences – Creating Effective Slides (CTL)
- •Presenting Engagingly in the Humanities/Social Sciences – Conferences from Abstract to Q&A(CTL)
- •Presenting Engagingly in the Sciences – Figure-Making in the Sciences (CTL)
- •Career Lab: Telling Your Research Story (OCS)
- •Presenting Engagingly in the Sciences – Poster & Template Prep (CTL)
- •Public Speaking Clinic for 3MT Finalists (OCS)
Be sure to check this webpage and the OCS weekly newsletter frequently for workshop announcements and register for these workshops on the Yale Career Link.
The Poorvu CTL Certificate for Public Communication
3MT participants who take advantage of OCS and GWL professional development resources and complete in the 3MT semi-finals are eligible to earn The Poorvu CTL Certificate for Public Communication. For more information about the certificate program, please email Julia Istomina, Assistant Director of The Graduate Writing Lab, at Julia.firstname.lastname@example.org.