There are numerous positions and functional roles for PhDs across government institutions. Be sure to review the resources, advice and job postings offered by the OCS Common Good and Creative Careers community, which includes government careers, and subscribe to the Yale Jackson Institute for Global Affairs mailing list.
Selected Online Resources
- Q&As and real-life examples of PhDs n Government – VersatilePhD
- “Which Career Track is Right for You?” – U.S. Department of State
- Resources on PhD careers in diplomacy and mediation – ImaginePhD
Learn from Yale Alums and Other PhDs
Below is just a sample of online narratives about PhDs choosing careers in government. To learn more from practitioners in the field in careers that specifically align with your interest, consider conducting informational interviews.
- “Humanists in Government” – The Humanities PhD Project
- PhD in Classical Art and Archaeology works as Contract Specialist for U.S. Department of Defense – Versatile PhD
- PhD in History works as Investigator for the Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission – Versatile PhD
- “A Historian on the Hill” – AHA
Gain Relevant Experience
- Apply for the Mellon/ACLS Public Fellows Competition (for new graduates)
- Apply for the Yale President’s Public Service Fellowship for the summer
- Apply for internship opportunities with Federal Government Intelligence Agencies