Jumpstart your exploration of PhD museum careers with these resources:
- “From bench to museum—an unlikely journey” – Molecular Biology of the Cell
- “Humanities PhDs in Museums” – The Humanities PhD Project
- “Historians in Museums” – American Historical Association
Learn from GSAS Alums and Other PhDs
- Yale GSAS alum Emily Early, PhD in Anthropology, works as Associate Curator of Anthropology at the Arizona Museum of Natural History
- Yale GSAS alum John Marciari, PhD in History of Art, works as Charles W. Engelhard Curator and Head of the Department of Drawings and Prints at the Morgan Library & Museum
- Yale GSAS alum Suzanne Karr Schmidt, PhD in History of Art, works as George Amos Poole III Curator of Rare Books and Manuscripts at the Newberry Library
- Biochemist hired as Program Specialist at Smithsonian – Versatile PhD
- History ABD hired by Medical Library & Museum – Versatile PhD
Gain Relevant Experience
- Apply to work for one of Yale’s museums.
- Take a master class at the Beinecke, or apply for one of their Yale Graduate and Professional Student Fellowships
- Consider an internship or fellowship with an outside organization. The Smithsonian Institution Fellowship Program or Ralph Appelbaum Associates are just two examples of the many organizations that offer opportunities.