GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship applications for the Fall 2021 Term are now open! GPE Fellowships are an opportunity for Ph.D. students to gain professional experience and develop transferable skills by working on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university. Applications are due Friday, June 11 at 11:59pm. Click on the positions to find the fellowship details and links to apply through Yale Career Link.
Why Do a GPE Fellowship?
Whether or not you pursue careers within or outside the academy, the fellowship experience is designed to advance your professional development and career awareness.
Career Exploration: Through a GPE Fellowship, you can gain exposure to academic administration as well as many professional roles found in organizations outside of academia, including: user experience research, exhibit design, journalism, corporate sustainability, finance, fund-raising, diversity initiatives, curriculum design, and event planning.
Mentoring: You will have a unique opportunity to work closely with host mentors, many of whom also have PhDs, and may be able to participate in job shadowing and meetings with other members in university administration. Through conversation and observation, you will expand your understanding of diverse functional roles, professional workplaces, and career transitions.
Skills Development: If you would like to expand your professional skill set, the GPE Fellowship is for you! Host organizations are looking for graduate students to help them with: Strategic planning; research; project management; program design and execution; communications; data analysis; best practices assessment…and more!
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2021 Fall Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Fall 2021 fellowships.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility.
Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.
- May 14, 2021: Applications open on Yale Career Link (Resume and Cover Letter required)
- May 24, 2021- June 11, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- June 11, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET)
- July 16, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- August 16, 2021– August 27th, 2021: New fellows on-boarding
- August 30, 2021– Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to July 2, 2021.
GPE Fellowship Informational Webinars
OCS will be hosting 30-min Zoom-based GPE Fellowship Info webinars that cover the benefits of gaining professional skills during graduate school; an overview of eligibility requirements, fellowship terms, and the available positions; and the fellowship timeline and how to apply. There will also be time at the end of the info session to ask questions! RSVP through Yale Career Link for one of the following webinar dates:
Fall 2021 Positions (Deadline: June 11)