With summer now in full swing, here are some tips for making the most of your summer internship
Define your expectations of the experience:
- What would you like to accomplish through this experience?
- How can you best approach those goals?
Clear communication with supervisor:
- Starting from a mutual understanding; don’t be afraid to ask
- Importance of establishing a feedback channel (in both directions)
- Requesting a midpoint and final check-in
- Making the most of professional proximity (keeping the radar out)
- Establishing contacts for current context as well as future relationships
Importance of keeping track of the experience to deepen your reflection:
- You can use the Professional Reflection module to help structure and pace your reflections; otherwise make sure you’re keeping good notes along the way (consider journaling)
- Eventually you will be organizing your thoughts into the required reflection letter
Contacting our office for questions or support over the summer:
- Questions, issues, advisement, etc.
- Contact us: https://ocs.yale.edu/channels/meet-with-ocs/
Helpful Resources from OCS
Making the Most of Your Experience: https://ocs.yale.edu/videos/making-the-most-of-your-experience/
Learning Plan and Goal Setting: https://ocs.yale.edu/blog/2020/07/20/how-to-make-the-most-of-your-internship-experience/
Developing Learning Plans: https://ocs.yale.edu/video/developing-learning-plans
Internship Checklist: https://ocs.yale.edu/blog/2020/05/08/internship-checklist (includes Learning Plan template)
Telling Your Story: https://ocs.yale.edu/channels/tell-me-about-yourself (includes Telling Your Story worksheet)