GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship applications for the Spring 2022 Term are now open! GPE Fellowships are an opportunity for Ph.D. students to gain professional experience and develop transferable skills by working on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university. Applications are due Sunday, September 26 at 11:59pm. Click on the positions to find the fellowship details and links to apply through Yale Career Link.
Why Do a GPE Fellowship?
Whether or not you pursue careers within or outside the academy, the fellowship experience is designed to advance your professional development and career awareness.
Career Exploration: Through a GPE Fellowship, you can gain exposure to academic administration as well as many professional roles found in organizations outside of academia, including: user experience research, exhibit design, journalism, corporate sustainability, finance, fund-raising, diversity initiatives, curriculum design, and event planning.
Mentoring: You will have a unique opportunity to work closely with host mentors, many of whom also have PhDs, and may be able to participate in job shadowing and meetings with other members in university administration. Through conversation and observation, you will expand your understanding of diverse functional roles, professional workplaces, and career transitions.
Skills Development: If you would like to expand your professional skill set, the GPE Fellowship is for you! Host organizations are looking for graduate students to help them with: Strategic planning; research; project management; program design and execution; communications; data analysis; best practices assessment…and more!
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2022 Spring Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Spring 2022 fellowships.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility.
Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.
- August 31 – September 26, 2021: Applications open on Yale Career Link (Resume and Cover Letter required)
- September 6 – September 26, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- September 26, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET)
- September 27 – November 19, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- December 13, 2021 – January 14, 2022: New fellows onboarding
- January 18, 2022: Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to October 17, 2021.
GPE Fellowship Informational Webinar
OCS will be hosting 45-min Zoom-based GPE Fellowship Info webinars that cover the benefits of gaining professional skills during graduate school; an overview of eligibility requirements, fellowship terms, and the available positions; and the fellowship timeline and how to apply. There will also be time at the end of the info session to ask questions! RSVP through Yale Connect for one of the following webinar dates:
- Wednesday, September 8, 12:00 – 12:45 pm
- Tuesday, September 14, 3:00 – 3:45 pm
- Thursday, September 23, 6:00 – 6:45 pm
Spring 2022 GPE Open Positions (Deadline September 26, 2021)
The details and link to apply in Career Link for each position are available in the associated links (Fellowship name – Host office):
- Women Faculty Forum Fellow – The Women Faculty Forum (one-year position with early deadline September 5, 2021)
- GSAS Communications Fellow – Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
- History Keepers Program Fellow – Afro-American Cultural Center at Yale (“The House”)
- Faculty Research Management Fellow – Faculty Research Management Services
- Social Media Fellow – Yale Peabody Museum
- Editorial Fellow – Yale Alumni Magazine
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Fellow – Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Yale School of Medicine
- Strategic Analysis Fellow – Yale Office of Strategic Analysis
- Whitney Humanities Center Fellow – Whitney Humanities Center
- University Community Engagement Fellow – Dwight Hall at Yale
- Community Engagement Classification Fellow – Dwight Hall at Yale
- Yale Prison Education Initiative Fellow – Yale Prison Education Initiative (YPEI) at Dwight Hall
- User Experience Research Fellow – Assessment & UX Research (AUXR) Department, Yale Library
- Academic Affairs Fellow – Yale College Dean’s Office
- Geospatial Data Analysis Fellow – Yale Carbon Containment Lab
- Communications Fellow – The Yale Review
- Archive Fellow – Yale Film Review
- International Strategy Fellow – Yale Office of International Affairs
- International Strategic Initiatives Fellow – Yale Office of International Affairs
- International Communications Fellow – Yale Office of International Affairs
- Education Assessment Fellow – Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning
- Project Management Fellow – Tsai Center for Innovative Thinking at Yale
- Collections Information and Access Fellow – Yale Center for British Art
- Curatorial Fellow – Yale Center for British Art
- Communications Fellow – Jackson Institute for Global Affairs
- Strategic Initiatives Fellow – Yale School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS)
- Exhibition Curation Fellow – Medical Historical Library at the Cushing/Whitney Medical Library
- Strategic Initiatives Fellow – Yale Alumni Association
- Outreach Fellow – Yale Dean’s Office of Gender & Campus Culture
Hear From Past GPE Mentors & Fellows
Five pairs of Spring 2021 GPE fellows and their host offices took a moment to reflect their experiences:
- Center for Biomedical Innovation and Technology
- Yale Peabody Museum of Natural History
- Yale Women Faculty Forum
- Yale Carbon Containment Lab
- Yale Office of Career Strategy