In an effort to support students pursuing careers in the nonprofit, government and the arts sectors, OCS offers a travel reimbursement program for Yale College Class of 2022 graduates to help offset costs associated with travel for interviews, auditions, and/or other career-related engagements. See examples below for other career-related engagements. Each senior can submit travel reimbursement requests for a total maximum reimbursement of $200 per student. Please refer to the instructions below and submit all receipts together up to a maximum reimbursement of $200. Funds are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. This program can also be used to reimburse travel to an OCS coordinated Consortium Career Fair when other transportation is not provided. This program is open for the Class of 2022 to get reimbursed up until September 30, 2022.
How do I get reimbursed?
Students must complete the following two steps:
- Complete the Reimbursement Survey in Yale Career Link – “Class of 2022 Travel/Career Reimbursement for Nonprofit, Government and Arts” in the “Surveys” section.
- Email Stephanie Glover (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following three items:
- Transportation/Other Career Related Engagement Receipts associated with your interview, conference or membership registration or subscription service. If you traveled for more than one interview, or engaged with more than one career related service, and the combined cost was up to $200, submit all receipts at once. Each student will be reimbursed one time for the total amount, up to $200.
- Documentation to Verify Ownership of Credit/Debit Card – i.e. copy of credit/debit card statement.
- A Completed W-9 Form if you are a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident or a W-8 BEN Form if you are a non-U.S. Citizen or non-U.S. Permanent Resident. Note: This is only needed if student is not set up with the University’s Accounts Payable Department.
- Proof of Interview (i.e. itinerary, confirmation email or letter from the interviewing site). If the invitation came via phone, request that the employer provide a brief email outlining the details of your interview/audition. For OCS coordinated Consortium Career Fair programs, such as DC ImpactLink and DC BioLink and DataLink interviews, send the travel itinerary.
What can you get reimbursed for?
- Air travel and ground transportation (i.e. subway, bus, shuttle, taxi fares).
- If a car is rented: rental paid receipt, gas receipt, parking fees and tolls.
- If using personal vehicle: mileage, parking fees and tolls.
- Other incidental travel expenses
- Other Career Related Engagements
Examples of Other Career Related Engagements
Costs related to qualifying ‘career-related engagements’ that support students pursuing careers in the nonprofit, government and arts sectors or graduate and professional school (see examples below). Please note these are examples and not an exhaustive list.
Registration fee for professional conferences. Examples:
- Self-Employment in the Arts (SEA)
- South by Southwest (SXSW)
- American Student Dental Association (ASDA)
- Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
- Cause Camp Conference 2021
- Forte Foundation Conferences
Membership fee for professional associations, alliances, and affiliations. Examples:
- The Professional Association for Design (AIGA)
- Alliance of Artists Communities
- The Association of Consultants to Nonprofits
Subscription fee for industry jobs boards or services. Examples:
- Time on the Hill, Traverse Jobs & Tom Manatos Jobs (Capitol Hill, Policy, Government Affairs)
- Interfolio or PrivateFolio (or other dossier service)
What constitutes an acceptable receipt?
- Air and Ground Transportation: the receipt must show traveler’s name, complete dates of travel, ticket number, transportation provider and total cost. The receipt must indicate that payment was made in full or $0 balance. Passenger/boarding passes usually have this information printed on them.
- Car Rental: an itemized rental receipt provided by the rental company.
- Parking, Toll and Gas: the receipt must show name of establishment, date and time, city, state and cost.
- Confirmation of Registration, Membership, or Subscription: a receipt that shows your full name, the full name of the organization or conference or subscription service, and confirmation of payment.
When should I expect my reimbursement?
- All reimbursement requests will be processed at the end of each month. You will be contacted when the reimbursement check is available.
- For questions or further assistance, email Stephanie Glover with “Travel Reimbursement for Interview/Audition” in the subject line.
This program has been supported by a number of generous donors, including Spark Investment Management, Marmol Radziner, Flow Traders, and The Yale Club of New York City.