Interested in entrepreneurship, venture capital (VC), or startups? Explore the following resources to learn more about these career paths after a Ph.D. in STEM!
Learn from GSAS Alums
Colleen’s Recommended Resources
Entrepreneur, Synthetic Biologist, and World Traveler
PhD ’16, Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology
Venture Partner at Deerfield Management
PhD ’98, Biophysical Chemistry
Innovation Director at Yale University
PhD ’07, Biomedical Engineering
Gain Relevant Experience
- Participate in Tsai CITY programs
- Take a venture support role with the Office of Cooperative Research
- Attend Greenlight ideation workshops with the Yale Center for Business and the Environment
- Participate in the Yale CBIT Healthcare Hackathon
- Take advantage of free online learning resources such as Kauffman Entrepreneurs and LinkedIn Learning
- Center for Biomedical Innovation and Technology: sign up for their newsletter here!
Click here for a full list of Innovation Centers at Yale!
- Entrepreneurship Career Exploration, Networking, and Skill-Building Resources – ImaginePhD
- Non-Academic Careers for STEM: Entrepreneurship and consulting at VersatilePhD (free to Yale students and postdocs)
- Start-ups create career opportunities for scientists
- Universities and start-up creation by Ph.D. graduates: the role of scientific and social capital of academic laboratories
- Exploring Scientific Entrepreneurship
- A PhD’s Path to Entrepreneurship, Chronicle of Higher Education
- Pharmacology PhD gets funding for startup – Versatile PhD