There are multiple pathways for PhD scientists to pursue within science education and outreach careers. These include K-12 educational institutions, museums, nonprofits, government, and at colleges/universities (both RO1 and liberal art institutions).
Learn from GSAS Alums
Director of Instruction at Humanities II (Charter School in South Bronx)
PhD, Cellular and Molecular Biology
Science Teacher at Venture High School & Former Advocate at Society for Science & the Public
PhD ’14, Genetics
Director of the Research Science Signature Experience at Peddie School
PhD ’01, Genetics
- Research Article: Creating opportunities for science PhDs to pursue careers in high school education
- National Associations: Take advantage of online resources at National Association of Biology Teachers, National Science Teaching Association, and Society for Science.
Experiential Learning Opportunities
- Yale Pathways to Science coordinates STEM outreach by providing overarching infrastructure for various STEM programs and events for local pre-college students
- Apply to be a volunteer as a Mentor or Judge for the New Haven Science Fair
- Submit workshop proposals for Yale Pathways to Science Summer Scholars 2023 (rolling basis through December 7)
- The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning engages with teaching fellows to help develop teaching skills foster teaching innovation. Click here to see Teaching Workshops offered!