The Yale Graduate Impact (YGI) Fellowship invites applications from current Yale Humanities Ph.D. students who wish to pursue an external internship related to their academic research at an organization outside of Yale. YGI Fellowship is a new opportunity for Humanities Ph.D. students to develop key professional skills, knowledge and experience while furthering their scholarly goals.
The program provides funding for positions that would otherwise be unpaid. Students may apply to existing opportunities, but are particularly encouraged to design their own positions in conversation with an appropriate organization. This is a great opportunity to discover and leverage connections between your academic research and outside organizations.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale Humanities Ph.D. students in years 2-6* of study and have been admitted to candidacy before the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at an external organization under the guidance of the host mentor for no more than 10 hours per week over the course of 16 weeks during the 2022 Spring term.
- Stipend: Fellows receive $2,900 for the 2022 Spring Term.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility. Eligible candidates will be required to apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT), as per immigration policy. Please reach out to your OISS advisor for application specifics.
- Requirements: You will be required to register for the course “Post-candidacy Applied Research Experience and Practical Training,” if your application is approved. In addition, all fellows will be required to submit a written reflection paper at the end of the fellowship.
- Students registered in absentia are eligible to apply.
* 7th-year students on departmental COVID extensions in Spring 2022 are eligible to apply.
- October 14, 2021: Application opens;
- October 14 – December 4, 2021: Info sessions, proposal and networking workshops;
- December 5, 2021: Application deadline;
- December 17, 2021: Offer sent out;
- December 18 – January 18, 2022: Paperwork for CPT application (international students) and onboarding;
- January 18, 2022: Suggested fellowship start date;
- January 28, 2022: Deadline for registration in the course “Post-candidacy Applied Research Experience and Practical Training”;
- May 11, 2022: Suggested fellowship end date.
Yale Graduate Impact Fellowship Informational Webinar
OCS will be hosting 45-min Yale Graduate Impact (YGI) Fellowship Info webinars that cover the benefits of being a Yale Graduate Impact Fellow; an overview of eligibility requirements, fellowship terms and timelines; how to find opportunities; how to write the proposal and how to apply. There will also be time at the end of the info session to ask questions! RSVP through Yale Connect for one of the following webinar dates:
Advising & Support
If you would like to discuss ideas for projects and potential partner organizations, or if you just want to have an initial conversation about general opportunities for gaining professional experience, don’t hesitate to set up an appointment with Hyun Ja Shin, Director for Graduate and Postdoctoral Career Services, Danica Fisher, Assistant Dean for Diversity, or Matthew Tanico, Assistant Dean for Graduate Student Life.