Welcome Yale Organizations!
The Graduate Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship program is a new initiative that offers currently enrolled Yale Ph.D. students the opportunity to work for a semester with a host mentor in a Yale organization. This program is designed to enable graduate students to expand their professional skill set, explore careers and receive mentorship by experienced professionals outside their academic program without prolonging their time to degree. Host organizations in turn can leverage a highly skilled group of students to work on projects.
By hosting a Ph.D. student in your organization, you will be able to:
- Leverage the many skills of Yale Ph.D. students on your projects
- Expand graduate students’ understanding and appreciation of university administration
- Help Yale graduate students gain new professional skills
- Expose Yale graduate students to possible career paths and professional roles
For more information about the GPE Fellowship program, click here. To view current opportunities, click here. This program is sponsored by the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and administered by the Office of Career Strategy.
For the 2020-21 academic year, Yale GSAS will support 12 Graduate Professional Experience Fellowship per semester. A limited number of opportunities will be available in the summer of 2020 as well.
- Student stipend: For the Fall and Spring terms, GPE Fellows will receive a $1500 stipend, $1000 of which will be covered by the graduate school. The host office is responsible for the remaining $500.
- Student hours: GPE Fellows will work 5-7 hours per week during each term on a project with the host organization.
During the fellowship, we encourage host mentors to provide opportunities for the GPE fellow to learn about careers and build their professional network through job shadowing, meetings and conversations with the host mentor and other professionals.
At the end of the fellowship, both the host mentor and the GPE will provide reflections so that improvements and suggestions can be incorporated into this new program.
Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of a doctoral student’s teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.