Self-Reflection and Assessment: Taking the Time to Learn about YOU
This often-neglected step shouldn’t just be something you do during a job search or career change. It’s important to check in with yourself every few years as you navigate your professional life. What motivates and energizes you in your work? What are your skills, interests, and values? Have they changed over time? If so, how?
Tackle these questions by starting with the resources below.
- 5 Step Career Decision Making Process
- Self-assessment modules in online individual development planning tools
- LinkedIn Learning courses such as “Taking Charge of Your Career” (free to Yale students and postdocs)
- MLA Career Exploration Activity Packet: Skills Self-Assessment
- Versatile PhD’s Options 4 Success course (Versatile PhD is free to Yale students; log on through Yale’s portal)
Once you’ve reflected on your own career philosophy, it’s time to research job functions and industries to identify career that may be a strong fit and explore ways to build your professional skill set. Not sure where to begin? Connect with an OCS Career Advisor.