Start Date: Immediate
Team: Team Talent Operations
Location: Brooklyn, NY or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates 37 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates 13,500 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country.
For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Achievement First exists to close the achievement gap and address inequity facing the communities that we are honored to serve. We have a two-pronged approach: people and program. In terms of program, we know that our curriculum, assessments, and school design are key to our success. But they are not enough – and they will not have impact without the right highly talented teams in place to execute, innovate, and make our network a place of excellence. Therefore, our ability to attract and keep the right (extremely talented) people is equally mission critical. While our school leaders work to create school environments that allow our teachers and deans to meet their full potential, we must also build network-wide structures, policy, strategy, and ethos that drives culture across AF.
Achievement First’s Talent Operations team ensures strong talent practices are effectively and consistently implemented across the AF network as the organization adapts to scale. The team also seeks to create a world-class employee experience such that all employees feel valued and want to stay at AF to relentlessly support student success. The team accomplishes this by:
● Overseeing comprehensive performance evaluation systems
● Offering competitive total rewards package
● Fueling people leadership practices with strong talent data, clear guidance, and efficient processes
● Creating avenues for employee input and feedback through various talent management surveys
At AF, we believe that having great people on our team is the key to our ability to close the achievement gap for our scholars. Too often, organizations hurt themselves through poorly conceived and executed talent management policies, and end up de-motivating the very staff members they are designed to support. AF believes that compassionate, consistent and fairly implemented talent practices is critical to our success at building a network of high performing schools that can close the achievement gap at scale. Reporting to the Associate Director of Compensation and Systems, the Compensation Associate will research job requirements and evaluate positions to ensure that Achievement First is maintaining fair, equitable, competitive, and fiscally responsible compensation programs.
Responsibilities of the Compensation Associate will include but are not limited to:
● Prepare and maintain job descriptions for each position in the organization; ensure descriptions accurately reflect the work being performed by incumbents.
● Interview and survey employees and managers to gather and document job, organizational, and occupational information including duties, responsibilities, and skills required by each job.
● Assess jobs and their respective duties to determine classification as exempt or nonexempt and appropriate salary range.
● Benchmark jobs against survey data and other market intelligence to determine competitive compensation ranges for each position.
● Prepare and maintain job classifications and salary scales.
● Prepare and present summary reports of job analysis and compensation analysis information.
● Gather data from market-based compensation surveys; use spreadsheet and data analysis techniques to assess results and market trends.
● Evaluate and implement job analysis instruments and materials.
● Provide training and guidance to Directors of School Operations and people managers on pay decisions and policy interpretations.
● Support Associate Director of Compensation and Systems on executing on the annual renewal process for school-based staff.
● Support Associate Director of Compensation and Systems, Vice President of Talent Operations and other teammates on additional projects as requested.
Skills and Characteristics
● Ability to understand and use qualitative/quantitative measurement and data collection design principles
● Strong analytical skills and ability to interpret and communicate data in a compelling narrative for stakeholders
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Excellent organizational and time management skills
● Excellent data analysis and project management skills. Attention to detail and quality is critical. Ability to thrive in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
● Ability to thrive in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment.
● Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
● Demonstrated commitment to education, low-income communities, and communities of color
● Humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
Educational Background and Work Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or related field required
● 1-3 years of experience as a compensation analyst
● SHRM-CP, CCP, or advanced degree is a plus
● Experience working with HRIS systems, ADP WFN a plus
● Willingness to travel to our schools and offices throughout Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York as needed
Salary for this position is very competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply, click here.
To Learn More About AF, please visit the Achievement First careers site at www.achievementfirst.org/careers/.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/