Start Date: Immediate
Team: Team Talent Operations
Location: Brooklyn, NY or New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates 37 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children, regardless of race or economic status. Achievement First currently educates 14,000+ students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black and Latino. With its college-preparatory focus, the Achievement First approach is attaining breakthrough academic gains throughout the network. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about Achievement First’s mission, approach, schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
Achievement First exists to close the achievement gap and address inequity facing the communities that we are honored to serve. We have a two-pronged approach: people and program. In terms of program, we know that our curriculum, assessments, and school design are key to our success. But they are not enough – and they will not have impact without the right highly talented teams in place to execute, innovate, and make our network a place of excellence. Therefore, our ability to attract and keep the right (extremely talented) people is equally mission critical. While our school leaders work to create school environments that allow our teachers and deans to meet their full potential, we must also build network-wide structures, policy, strategy, and ethos that drives culture across AF.
Achievement First’s Talent Operations team ensures strong talent practices are effectively and consistently implemented across the AF network as the organization adapts to scale. The team also seeks to create a world-class employee experience such that all 2400+ employees feel valued and want to stay at AF to relentlessly support student success. The team accomplishes this by:
● Fueling people leadership practices with strong talent data, clear guidance and efficient processes
● Overseeing comprehensive performance evaluation systems
● Offering competitive total rewards package
● Creating avenues for employee input and feedback through various talent management surveys
At AF, we believe that having great people on our team is the key to our ability to close the achievement gap for our scholars. Too often, organizations hurt themselves through poorly conceived and executed talent management policies, and end up de-motivating the very staff members they are designed to support. AF believes that compassionate, consistent and fairly implemented talent practices is critical to our success at building a network of high performing schools that can close the achievement gap at scale. Reporting to the Director of Talent Operations, the Talent Data & Operations Associate will play a critical role in taking to the next level the foundation for strong talent data reporting and analytics that have already been laid.
Responsibilities of the Talent Data & Operations Associate will include but are not limited to:
Talent Data Analysis & Reporting
● Lead the development and maintenance of a comprehensive Talent Analytics Tableau dashboard, providing senior leadership with a view of AF’s talent trends over time.
● Lead critical talent data reporting and provide expert support to teammates performing complex analyses, using Tableau, Microsoft Access, R/Python/SQL, and Excel.
● Maintain and improve upon existing Tableau dashboards used for our Teacher Career Pathways program, AF’s teacher evaluation, recognition and career advancement program designed to retain the best teachers in the classroom
● Support on development of quarterly employee retention data analysis.
● Fulfill ad-hoc talent related data requests using Excel and R/Python, including time-sensitive reports for senior leadership.
● Develop internal best practices for quality-control checking AF’s HR data with a multitude of stakeholders across the organization.
● Track detailed data limitations for all data projects and make suggestions for analysis within those limitations. Business rules for all data reporting is codified for replication by any members of the team.
● Provide critical oversight of our HRIS system, ADP, and manage data connections to other network-wide systems (e.g., Greenhouse, our onboarding software, Platinum, our TCP platform, etc.).
● Map out and execute on plans for ADP updates and tighter integrations with other data systems across the network.
● Create and maintain an organizational chart using ADP or another software.
General Team Support
● Provide thought-partnership and quality-control checking support to other talent data focused teammates across a range of talent related topics (employee satisfaction, benefits, compensation, leadership pipeline, etc.).
● Answer tickets from employees related to general talent data requests.
● Support analysis of ticket topic trends on a monthly basis, such that our team can improve our existing resources and practice.
● Support Director of Talent Operations, Vice President of Talent Operations and other teammates on additional projects as requested.
Skills and Characteristics
● Proficiency with Tableau, and at least one programming language (R, Python, or SQL) required; advanced proficiency with Tableau and R is a plus.
● Advanced proficiency with Excel (e.g., advanced formulas and pivot tables) is required.
● Excellent data analysis and project management skills. Attention to detail and quality is critical.
● Ability to explain complex processes at both detailed and high levels, in writing and in conversation.
● Ability to translate data analyses into a compelling narrative for stakeholders.
● Customer service mindset: responding to and partnering with end users to solve challenges.
● Continuous improvement mindset: always seek out ways to improve our systems and processes.
● Ability to thrive in a fast‐paced, entrepreneurial environment.
● Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model.
● Demonstrated commitment to education, low-income communities, and communities of color.
● Humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
Educational Background and Work Experience
● Bachelor’s Degree and 2+ years of work experience.
● At least 1 year of human resources administration in a large-company setting preferred.
● Prior experience with ADP and API/data integrations, or another HRIS platform, is preferred.
● Willingness to travel to our schools and offices throughout Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York as needed.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply, click here.
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.