Start Date: Immediate
Location: Work from Home (New Haven, CT also possible)
Who are we?
Achievement First (AF) exists to address the legacy of racism in education in America. We know that all children— regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—need and deserve access to a great education. At the core of our approach is the shared journey by our students and staff to fulfill our incredible potential. Just the facts. Achievement First has consistently been rated one of the top charter school networks in the country, AND we are still learning and growing. AF is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that currently supports 37 public charter schools in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The mission of AF is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children. We currently employ more than 2,000 staff — 47% of whom identify as Black, Latinx, or Multi-racial — who collectively educate nearly 15,000 students in Brooklyn, NY; Providence, RI; and New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford CT. More than 85% of our students qualify for free or reduced priced lunch. Our students are proving what is possible by achieving breakthrough results in terms of academic achievement and long-term college persistence. Achievement First is also an engaged and prominent partner in the broader education-reform movement, partnering with schools and networks across the country and openly sharing all of our resources with all educators free of charge. We currently serve more than 100,000 additional students through our Charter Network Accelerator and Navigator partnership organizations.
Why work at Achievement First?
First and foremost: you should work at AF if you believe in our values and want to surround yourself with people who share them. We are committed to leading for racial equity. We approach our work with humility, humanity, and the recognition that both what we do and how we do it must model the equity we seek. We strive for excellence by setting a high bar in all areas and pursuing it relentlessly. We care about the whole person. We choose joy and actively seek out moments of humor, gratitude, and deeper purpose. We know that we will go further together and intentionally join forces on both big and small things. We name brutal facts and see our mistakes as opportunities to get better. Finally, come to Achievement First if you want to help schools redefine what’s possible in education. We are working to create some of the best schools in the country – schools that support not just student’s academic success but also their social emotional learning, identity development, independence as learners, passions, and life-long fulfillment. AND, at AF, we believe getting better starts with looking in the mirror. We have done a lot of that lately, as we have more aggressively confronted our own biases and unacceptable gaps in our student and staff experience. We are committed to addressing inequity within our systems, culture, and talent with resolve to walk the long road ahead to the true equity and opportunity our kids and families deserve. So, come to Achievement First if reflection, challenge, and growth feed your soul.
Achievement First is seeking a highly motivated Financial Accounting Associate who will support Team Finance with financial and grant accounting. Reporting to the Controller and Accounting Manager, this position will be instrumental in the day-to-day transactions, processing claims, performing reconciliations, grant management, and assisting the team.
Responsibilities (includes but is not limited to):
· Prepares and records general ledger activities, (i.e. cash, accounts receivable, public and private revenue, and expenses)
· Responsible for reconciling and analyzing general ledger accounts and AP invoices to make accurate and timely claims
· Review and analyze fixed asset purchases, maintain fixed asset system, and ensure depreciation is recorded on an annual basis
· On a monthly basis, assist with the billing of revenue including Per Pupil, Meals Claims, Title, SPED, etc.
· Prepare intercompany billing and Ancillary Fees Invoices; assist in tracking intercompany activity and cash flow assessment of the Charters
· Ensures that all compliance, reporting, and program development occurs throughout the year related to public grants and private grants.
· Work with the Grants Director to help in clearly communicating grant guidelines to schools and assist with compliance and tracking of funds against budget.
· Works closely with the Development Team to ensure that Private grant funds and expenses are recorded properly.
· Creates relevant financial reports to periodically monitor for appropriate expenditures of grant funds.
· Creates and maintains calendar of grant deadlines and a detailed work plan to meet those deadlines.
· Collaborate with other teams to help find solutions and streamline existing processes.
· Supports Finance Team on ad-hoc special projects as necessary as needed.
· Perform specific duties assigned by supervisor in preparation for and during the annual fiscal audits.
Educational Background and Work Experience
· 3-5 years’ experience in accounting, with demonstrable skill in balance sheet and income statement analysis and complex financial reporting
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting required
· Experience with non-profit accounting systems or comparable for-profit systems
· Experience in the preparation and review of budgets and audits a plus, but not required
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Controller, Team Finance
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer. People of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.