Start / End Date: June 14th – July 30th, 2021
Team: Information Technology
Location: New Haven/Bridgeport/Hartford, CT (travel required within CT)
About Achievement First:
Achievement First serves 15,000 students in 37 schools in five communities across Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island. All of our students come to us through blind lottery. The majority are Black, Latinx, and children from low-income families who will be the first in their families to graduate from college. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
The Information Technology (IT) Summer Intern is a key member of Achievement First’s IT Team and will help to ensure that information technology equipment/systems are in place and operational throughout all our charter schools. The Intern will work closely with the other members of Team IT but will report directly to the designated Intern Manager. The ideal candidate is an intelligent, driven, personable, and hard-working individual with a “whatever it takes” approach to accomplishing goals.
Responsibilities of the IT Summer Intern will include but are not limited to:
▪ Must be customer-service oriented and willing to learn new techniques
▪ Must be willing to travel between multiple school sites.
▪ Able to create and maintain documentations using Google Docs and Sheets
▪ Able to organize and inventory Technology equipment and tools
▪ Must follow directions and be detail oriented to ensure the accuracy of work
▪ Punctuality is a must. Expect to work 40 hours per week with the possibility of long days
o Technology Infrastructure
▪ Assist in the installation of IT equipment and infrastructure at school sites
▪ Provide tier one technical support for wireless, LAN, laptops, printers, and VOIP telephones
▪ Engage in moderate physical activity as needed for moving technology equipment
o Laptop/Chromebook Setup
▪ Will be responsible for reimaging staff laptops and student Chromebooks
▪ Will be responsible for setting up student Chromebooks and carts
▪ Will be responsible for ensuring laptops, carts, Chromebooks are clean and functional
o Staff Support
▪ Support the IT team to provide troubleshooting and training for a growing network of 500+ staff members
Skills and Characteristics
▪ Acute attention to detail
▪ A high degree of tech literacy
▪ Must have strong communication skills, both written and oral
▪ Strong organization and prioritization skills
▪ Ability to multi-task with the desire to work in a fast-paced, highly disciplined, but sometimes unpredictable school environment
▪ Must take direction well and be motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and “own” projects
▪ Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and roll-up-my-sleeves attitude
Educational Background and Work Experience
▪ Current undergraduate/recent college graduate with a major or minor in an IT-related discipline or having at least 1-year hands-on technical support experience
▪ Demonstrated experience working successfully in a team environment
▪ Experience with imaging, MS Office 2010/2013/2016, Windows 7/10 and troubleshooting printers and school technology (projectors, doc cams) are a plus
This position will require travel between multiple locations within Connecticut.
Interns will receive an hourly wage and some transportation benefits.
Complete this 31Tlinked application form31T and submit both a resume and a thoughtful cover letter.
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.