Start Date: ASAP
Team: Team Chief of Staff
Location: New Haven, CT
About Achievement First:
Achievement First, a non-profit 501(c)3 charter school management organization, operates 37 public charter schools in Brooklyn, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The mission of Achievement First is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all of America’s children. We know that every child—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—deserves access to great schools. Achievement First currently educates more than 14,000 students in historically underserved neighborhoods, with over 90% of our students identifying as Black or Latinx. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
The Team Chief of Staff Part-Time office manager role is an extraordinary opportunity for a professional with communication, coordination, and office management experience to work closely with high performing, results-oriented teams and senior leaders and get involved in innovative talent work. The office manager will develop highly transferable skills and a strong understanding of the education sector and office administration landscape.
This person will take initiative to distribute mail, solve issues in the office, and work with and alert the appropriate people to keep our office running smoothly.
In addition to supporting the management of the Achievement First Network Support office in New Haven, performing administrative tasks, the office assistant will serve as a crucial supporter and strategic thought partner for our Chief of Staff Team. The ideal candidate is willing to work hard in service of incredibly exciting work, and will possess exceptional multi-tasking abilities, a keen eye to detail, excellent written and verbal communication skills, comfort with managing vendors and multi-part projects, and be extraordinarily self-directed.
Responsibilities of the Office Assistant will include but are not limited to:
● Office management (80%):
○ Lead the office management function for our office space in New Haven, serving as the AF liaison between our landlord Teach For America and AF Staff. .
○ Distribute deliveries, answer mailing questions, and perform other administrative duties.
○ Mailroom management- Managing all FedEx, UPS, USPS inquiries, orders, and supplies.
○ Fax Service Expert
○ Reserve External Spaces for Network Support Staff
○ Vendor Management- Manage all vendors related to Network Support Office Management
○ Maintain a high-quality office space for all of Achievement First Network Support
● Administrative and Strategic Support (20%)
○ Execute on and maintain systems for the management of complex administrative tasks, and independently problem-solve, research options, and propose solutions or adaptations when challenges arise
Skills and Characteristics
● Attention to detail
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills
● Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
● A track record of identifying and taking initiative to resolve problems
● A track record of developing and maintaining personal organization systems for managing multiple workflows: being highly responsive in communication, prioritizing time-sensitive tasks, and completing tasks quickly while maintaining quality of work
● A track record of managing projects start to finish to achieve desired outcomes – both independent projects and those involving multiple stakeholders and performers
● Belief in the Achievement First mission and educational model
● Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude
Educational Background and Work Experience
o HS Diploma or GED equivalent
o 1-3 years of office management experience
o Experience in project management: coordinating tasks and communication to achieve a set vision or goal
o Experience on small but mighty teams
This is a part-time 20 hours per week position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Achievement First reviews applications on a rolling basis – please apply immediately.
Send Resume and Cover Letter to:
Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.