Start Date: July 19, 2021
Team: AF Accelerate
About Achievement First and AF Accelerate:
Achievement First (AF) exists to address the legacy of racism in education in America. We know that all children—regardless of race, zip code, or economic status—need and deserve access to a great education. At the core of our approach is the shared journey by our students and staff to fulfill our incredible potential.
Achievement First has consistently been rated one of the top charter school networks in the country, AND we are still learning and growing. AF is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization that currently supports 37 public charter schools in New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island. The mission of AF is to deliver on the promise of equal educational opportunity for all children. We currently employ more than 2,000 staff — 47% of whom identify as Black, Latinx, or Multi-racial — who collectively educate more than 14,300 students in Brooklyn, NY; Providence, RI; and New Haven, Bridgeport, and Hartford CT. More than 85% of our students qualify for free or reduced priced lunch. Our students are proving what’s possible by achieving breakthrough results in terms of academic achievement and long-term college persistence. For more information about the Achievement First mission, model, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
AF Accelerate, a division of Achievement First, provides strategic support to educators beyond
AF and partners with them to achieve stronger outcomes for students. We also work to foster an open source and collective learning environment within the broader education community to ensure quality resources, proven practices, lessons learned and promising ideas are available to all. AF Accelerate works with entrepreneurs who are starting their own charter networks and with traditional district schools through two programs, the Charter Network Accelerator and Navigator, putting 60,000 students on the path to college, and plans to scale to impact the outcomes of 150,000 students in the next 5 years. Our work is based on Achievement First’s open source materials, available on our open source website, creating nearly limitless reach.
AF Accelerate is seeking a mission-focused, and process-minded individual to set and execute the operational vision and strategy during a critical stage of growth. Reporting to the Executive Director and a member of AF Accelerate’s leadership team, the Vice President of Operations will lead the team charged with creating and codifying the internal systems and tools required to support AF Accelerate’s current scale and future expansion. This is a new leadership position for AF Accelerate, and a spirit of entrepreneurship along with a “service” approach to all stakeholders, including instructional and non-instructional staff and partners, will be critical to success.
Responsibilities of the Vice President of Operations will include but are not limited to:
Set the vision for and implement the systems and processes to drive operational excellence across AF Accelerate.
● Oversee and/or lead the design and build of key operational and administrative systems needed for managing our programs at scale and with an equity lens including recruitment and selection, customer relations management, data analysis and reporting, self-directed learning, knowledge management and AF’s open Source website.
● Administer, manage and analyze partner experience data and use the data to set and monitor progress towards operational goals and to inform program strategy.
● Develop an efficient process for interim assessment administration and reporting to ensure AF Accelerate staff and partners have accurate, timely data to make instructional decisions to support student growth.
Build a high-performing AF Accelerate Operations and Scaling team
● Bring together in one team the staff members who support program operations who are currently reporting to multiple managers including directly supervising the Navigator Operations Associate, Director of Self-Directed and Professional Learning, and Director of Data Analysis and Strategy.
● Working with the executive director, determine additional staff capacity needed to support our programs at scale.
● Train and develop team members to build the skills needed for a high-performing ops team.
● Ensure strong communication, collaboration and project management structures with program directors to ensure flawless execution in service of AF Accelerate program teams and partners.
Provide strategic finance support to AF Accelerate
● Prepare and manage the AF Accelerate budget, providing strategic guidance and analysis of growth scenarios to create a sustainable financial model.
● Set and implement policies for program fees and discounts that are transparent, equitable and meet revenue realization goals.
● Liaise with the central AF Finance team to refine financial policies and procedures specific to AF Accelerate.
Skills and Characteristics
● Belief in the Achievement First mission, our values and a demonstrable commitment to pursuing equity, in particular that of building equitable systems and processes with AF Accelerate and in our programs
● Motivated by the opportunity to work in a dynamic and growing organization.
● Self-starter who takes initiative, using sound, independent judgment and discretion and seeks guidance and feedback where appropriate – a doer as well as a manager.
● Maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, and “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
● A transparent and inclusive decision maker who looks to build trust and candor.
● A reputation as an exceptional manager, coach, and team leader. Experience with creating and leading a diverse and energetic staff, including an ability to motivate individuals and work effectively across lines of difference.
● Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; highly organized with concern for detail and a commitment to rigor.
● Excellent verbal, written, analytical, and interpersonal skills.
● Strong time management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
Educational Background and Work Experience
● 10 years of experience and results managing high performing teams toward ambitious programmatic, operations, strategy and financial outcomes.
● Demonstrated experience with scaling up organizational infrastructure.
● Experience with developing an organization’s workflow and critical business processes, project and event management and financial oversight.
● Experience building or adapting a CRM, LMS and Tableau to support program operations a plus.
● Experience working in the K-12 education sector a plus.
● MBA or relevant graduate degree in management preferred, but not required.
Some weekend/evening work is required and some travel will be required.
Salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. Additionally, Achievement First offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Send resume and letter of interest to:
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.