This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies: https://ocs.yale.edu/ocs-policies/. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
Join us as we transform the built environment with digital products and services!
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference to the world.
The Advanced Digital Engineering team is a global group of software developers, product managers, user experience designers and digital consultants within Arup. We use our collective talents to incubate and deliver technology-led solutions to clients, and in doing so help transform the way that cities, buildings and physical networks are planned and delivered.
Our team members are involved in the full life cycle of digital solutions, from ideation to requirements gathering, design, development, deployment and ongoing maintenance and support. Our organizational model gives each of us the opportunity to participate in critical thinking, creative workshops, software architecture, and feature prioritization. We encourage our team members to help identify and incubate new ways to leverage technology in our industry.
Our work is shaped by our values and the deep domain knowledge of in-house building experts who span the broad range of specialties in the built environment. Our data-driven solutions aim to empower clients to design and manage buildings more sustainably, deliver insight on urban resiliency from civic data, and empower city authorities to plan, design and deliver infrastructure projects more equitably, efficiently and with greater transparency.
We also collaborate with experts across our firm to develop and deploy computational tools to enhance their ability to perform design and analysis. Our team serves as a catalyst for automation across Arup.
Every day we use elegant software tools, cloud-based web applications, novel automation workflows, geospatial tools, advanced data analytics, machine learning and more to advance the design and delivery of airports, rail networks, urban infrastructure, bridges, tunnels, skyscrapers and other key components of the built environment.
Our employee-owned firm promotes and supports forward looking research and development, and our team is deeply involved in the conceptualization, design, development and deployment of next-generation digital tools for our industry. We are looking for talented individuals interested in advancing their full stack development skills, and excited about engaging experts across the built environment to collaboratively build new digital solutions to help us reshape the world around us.
We are looking for a Software Developer with a wide range of knowledge and experience of producing software solutions within a dynamic environment across the development lifecycle. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, an excellent problem solver, a fast-self-learner able to adapt to new technologies and platforms, and able to present complex digital challenges to people of other backgrounds. The candidate should have experience working within an agile development environment and be comfortable with working to deadlines and budget constraints.
Engaging experts across the built environment. You will work closely with industry-leading designers, engineers, and consultants to identify opportunities for digital transformation. You will be responsible for communicating complex information and processes simply to empower informed decision making.
Participation in research and development. You will work with our R&D champions to identify critical, emerging technologies and perform strategic research with an aim to develop the skills and capabilities needed to deploy them on projects.
Providing insight from data. You will collaborate with experts across a range of domains to identify and study data sets, producing visuals and other tools that empower Arup and its clients to make better decisions that impact our physical world.
Support and mentor junior developers. You will take a leadership position on projects that requires technical oversight. You will support the professional development of project team members and members of the broader Digital Insight team.
Assist in the development of product roadmaps. You will assist in the ideation of new projects and develop time and cost estimates for assessing product value.
Communication through writing and presenting. Your role will involve the documentation of methods and outcomes. You will also represent the services and offerings of the Digital Insight team broadly throughout the firm, conveying the work we do to other teams through presentations. Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or similar technical field of study
2 or more years development experience in a commercial environment
Interested and curious about the built environment (no experience necessary)
Research oriented, critical thinker
Strong in object-oriented design principles
Experience using 3rd party APIs, frameworks and development kits
Development and support of relational databases (SQL) and/or NoSQL technologies
Familiarity with Agile Development methodologies
Familiarity with version control tools such as Git or SVN
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong in Python
- Master’s Degree in computer science or similar technical field of study
- Experience working in a development team environment using collaboration tools such as Atlassian
- Knowledge of statistics and data science
- Experience and knowledge in GIS, Spatial and 3D data
- Experience building web applications: web maps, websites, data visualization
- UX/UI research, design methods, and Design System integration.
- Experience with visualization techniques and libraries, e.g. D3.js
- Experience in DevOps processes such as docker and tools for continuous integration/continuous delivery
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS or Azure
Arup is the creative force at the heart of many of the world’s most prominent projects across our industry. We offer a broad range of professional services to clients around the world that combine to make a real difference to our clients and the communities in which we work.
- Open-sourced data and analysis to help NGO’s, governments, and firms understand homelessness trends because of COVID-19 and resulting shutdowns. (https://github.com/arup-group/social-data)
- Charge4All – Scaling curbside EV charging infrastructure using a digital enabled and equitable approach (https://www.arup.com/projects/charge4all)
- Mobility Mosaic, a mobile application for collecting advanced travel data and informing urban, aviation and transport planning (https://www.mobility-mosaic.com/)
- Arup Virtual Engage (https://www.arup.com/expertise/services/digital/virtual-engage)
- Arup Inspect (https://www.arup.com/our-firm/arup-inspect)
- Arup Neuron (https://www.arup.com/projects/neuron)
- Long Island Railroad Expansion Project. Arup developed a project-specific web-based portal to aid in the management, programming and execution of this critical upgrade to Long Island’s rail infrastructure (https://www.arup.com/projects/long-island-rail-road-expansion)
- Multi-hazard design optimization of the space frame roof of the New International Airport for Mexico City.
- Queensferry Crossing Advanced Digital Sensoring, UK. (https://www.arup.com/projects/queensferry-crossing-digital)
- HS2 High Speed Rail Virtual and Augmented Reality (https://www.arup.com/projects/hs2-digital)
- 2nd Avenue Subway, New York
- Fulton Center, New York
- Pier 55, New York
- Dulles International Airport Expansion, Washington, D.C.
- Gerald Desmond Bridge, Los Angeles
- Bruce C. Bolling Municipal Building at Dudley Square, Boston
- WW Grainger Headquarters, Chicago
- Uptown District Mobility Improvement, Houston
- Nasher Sculpture Center Garden, Dallas
- Transbay Transit Center, San Francisco
- LEED Platinum Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Headquarters, Seattle
- Queen’s Way West Revitalization, Canada
- Agora Convention Centre in Bogota