Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta (Advancing Justice-Atlanta) seeks an experienced, collaborative, and dynamic litigator to join our team as Litigation Director. The Litigation Director is responsible for developing and directing an impact litigation strategy that centers the legal needs of highly vulnerable community members and aligns with Advancing Justice- Atlanta’s mission and holistic approach, which includes community organizing, policy advocacy, and direct legal services. The Litigation Director coordinates with other senior staff in order to ensure litigation activities grow and align with strategic direction. The Litigation Director is a management-level staff position which requires supervising, mentoring, and supporting a growing litigation staff. The Litigation Director also represents organizational interests in co- counseling and other collaborative work and develops pro bono attorney relationships.
Advancing Justice-Atlanta’s mission is to protect and promote the civil rights of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders in Georgia and the Southeast through policy advocacy, legal services, civic engagement, and leadership development. Our vision is a social movement where individuals are fully empowered, active in civic life, and working together to promote equity and fair treatment for all.
Day-to-day activities vary in this dynamic position and include the following:
- Guide strategic direction of impact litigation and coordinate its fit within broader organizational work
- Develop and coordinate system for supervising legal work, professional development, and training of litigation staff
- Direct, train, and evaluate performance of litigation staff
- Assist and mentor attorneys in development of litigation expertise
- Assist and supervise attorneys in developing impact litigation and other strategies to address problems faced by Advancing Justice-Atlanta clients
- Develop and foster collaborative relationships with ally community organizations, legal services providers, and law firms
- Build and litigate impact cases, including class actions, in state and federal court
- Coordinate and collaborate with civic engagement & organizing, policy advocacy, and direct legal services staff to identify community legal needs that can be addressed through litigation
- Assist with developing communications related to litigation activities for marketing and community education purposes
- Represent Advancing Justice-Atlanta in connection with litigation activities to stakeholders, funders, and general public
- Collaborate with litigation staff of other Advancing Justice affiliates to develop affiliation litigation strategy
- Local to the Atlanta area, with access to reliable transportation. The position will largely be remote for the time being due to the COVID-19 pandemic but may require occasional travel, as necessary, to the Advancing Justice-Atlanta office and offsite locations for meetings, court appearances, and community engagements. Precautions are in place to ensure safe access to the office
- J.D. from an accredited university
- Georgia Bar membership or admission to Georgia Bar within one year
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Ability to work and thrive in a small collaborative teamwork environment
- Applies flexibility and creativity in problem solving and can work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Commitment to social, economic, racial, and immigrant justice movements
- Highly motivated self-starter
- Invested in developing individual and team leadership
Desired Experience, Qualifications & Skills
Advancing Justice-Atlanta seeks many qualifications for this position, acknowledging that a successful candidate may hold some but not necessarily all of the following:
- At least seven years of state or federal court litigation experience, including discovery, taking and defending depositions, and motions practice. Experience with voting rights and/or other civil rights or constitutional litigation a plus.
- Experience working with low income immigrant communities of color.
- Possesses a wide range of leadership and management skills.
- Experience with managing and mentoring attorneys and other program staff
- Experience with coalition building, policy advocacy, and community-centered lawyering
Salary & Benefits
Salary range for this position is commensurate with experience and is based on principles of internal equity with a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
Send a resume, cover letter, 3 references, and a legal writing sample (5-10 pages) to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.