Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta is seeking a Litigation Staff Attorney to assist with impact litigation in the areas of immigrant justice, including challenging immigration detention practices and conditions, and voting rights. The Litigation Staff Attorney would support ongoing federal litigation in these areas and identify and build opportunities for future litigation. They would also at times engage other tools, including community education and outreach and policy advocacy, to expand legal protections for AAPIs and other marginalized communities and to advocate against unjust laws and policies. This position is based in Georgia.
Advancing Justice-Atlanta’s mission is to protect and promote the civil rights of Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders in Georgia and the Southeast through policy advocacy, legal services, civic engagement, and leadership development. Our vision is a social movement where individuals are fully empowered, active in civic life, and working together to promote equity and fair treatment for all.
Responsibilities and duties
● Engage in immigrant justice and voting rights litigation primarily in federal court. Includes investigating potential litigation and participating in all aspects of litigation, including client counseling and communication; legal research; drafting complaints, briefs, motions, and other pleadings; conducting depositions and discovery; and other litigation tasks.
● Work closely and collaboratively with staff from other departments at Advancing Justice-Atlanta, other offices in the Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation, and local community organizations.
● Develop relationships with stakeholders and community partners.
● Represent the organization at community events and coalition tables, as needed.
● Assist with public communications related to litigation and other immigrant justice and voting issues, including community advisories, press releases, press conferences, and media inquiries.
● Assist with and lead community organizing and education activities, including local and state policy advocacy. May include preparing community education materials and leading trainings and other public presentations.
● Help run Advancing Justice-Atlanta’s election protection program and voter interpretation program.
● Contribute to grant reports, as needed.
● Supervise paralegal, externs, and interns, as needed.
● All staff members of Advancing Justice-Atlanta are expected to, at times, assist with general office duties, such as answering phones, outreach, and other tasks.
Salary for this position is commensurate with experience and based on principles of internal equity with a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, three professional or academic references, and a legal writing sample (not to exceed 5 pages) to email@example.com. No phone calls or inquiry emails please. Applications will be accepted and considered on a rolling basis. This position will remain open until filled.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, HIV status, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.