The Executive Assistant supports the governance duties of the Chief Executive Officer, providing administrative and secretarial support of a confidential nature with multilevel responsibilities and varied tasking on behalf of the Chief Executive Officer and the Board of Directors. The Executive Assistant works regularly with the Chief Executive Officer, Board of Directors members, Executive Leadership management team members, department heads, and fiscal and administrative staff. Responsibilities include composing and word processing of letters, reports, memoranda, and other documents of a complex and difficult nature, and may involve research and analysis of issues upon request by the Chief Executive Officer; staffing of weekly Executive Leadership meetings, and monthly Board of Directors meetings, and taking minutes; and assuring the proper and efficient relay of communication between staff and the Chief Executive Officer, and between the Chief Executive Officer and external clients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Daily Operational Support for the Chief Executive Officer
1. Composes correspondence (including email), requiring a broad knowledge of the agency’s operations and mission, and drafts correspondence for review and signature by the Chief Executive Officer – may be confidential.
2. Reviews correspondence including email directed to the executive office and brings significant issues to the attention of the Chief Executive Officer and/or other senior managers; and responds to requests for information.
3. Coordinates the Chief Executive Officer’s incoming calls, providing information when appropriate, directing calls to other staff as needed, and/or gathers details from callers to facilitate an informed reply by the Chief Executive Officer.
4. Receives guests and visitors of the agency, ascertains their needs, sees to their comfort, and provides assistance as needed.
5. Prepares reports, media releases, and public information materials using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
6. Assists in preparing the Chief Executive Officer’s requests for reimbursements and processes credit card billing statements for the Chief Executive Officer’s payment authorization
7. Develops and maintains administrative support systems and procedures for the Executive Office, including filing systems, organization of archival materials, development and maintenance of databases, and creation of mailing lists, mail merges, form templates, and documentation of Executive Office administrative procedures, etc. Arranges and coordinates additional clerical support for Chief Executive Officer as needed.
8. The first point of contact for the Chief Executive Officer as it relates to day to day activities
9. Manages the Chief Executive Officer’s calendar and reconciles scheduling conflicts relating to AHS participation in outside organizations and activities, as well as the Chief Executive Officer’s membership and participation in boards, associations, coalitions, task forces, Executive Leadership, and staff meetings, and travel.
10. Schedules meetings with Executives, Board members, community leaders, and government officials as needed.
11. Makes travel arrangements including booking flights, ground transportation, and hotel accommodations.
Administrative Support of Executive Leadership and the Board of Directors
12. Independently researches and provides background material from a variety of sources to the Chief Executive Officer in advance of executive meetings and events using Word, Excel, and/or PowerPoint.
13. Provides administrative support and coordinates support provided by other staff for executive and other management meetings. Support duties include preparing agenda items; calendaring and scheduling; taking minutes and transcribing them for staff circulation, posting, and filing.
14. Provides administrative and clerical support to the Board of Directors such as scheduling meetings of the board and board committees; notifying board members of scheduled activities; preparing meeting agendas and materials; note-taking, transcribing, processing, and distributing minutes; and keeping board records.
15. Proactively supports the Board Nominations Committee in preparation for elections and other Board governance functions, as needed.
16. Assists Chief Executive Officer and other senior management with communications to board members and vice versa
17. Implements board-related tasks as requested by the Chief Executive Officer, senior management, and board members.
18. Under direction from the Chief Executive Officer communicates information to the Executive Leadership and other members of staff, participates in launching special projects (e.g. development of educational materials, fundraising, advocacy, membership meetings, forums, etc) or events, conducts research (e.g. surveys, archival research, current events, etc), and performs other duties as needed
1. Occasional supervision of volunteers and staff working on special projects.