The Congressional Internship is designed for AAPI undergraduate aged students looking to increase their experience in public policy and service. The paid, eight-week long summer program places Interns in congressional offices and provides them with the opportunity to develop their leadership and professional skills, encourages political engagement, and fosters interests in public service careers. Note: due to the global coronavirus pandemic, all internships are assumed to be virtual, remote-work opportunities unless otherwise notified.
This year we are also offering the following opportunities as part of the Congressional Internship program. Applicants who would like to be considered for these programs can indicate their interest at the end of the application. They will also be considered for the regular full-time congressional office internship as well.
United Parcel Service (UPS) Internship
A handful of interns from the APAICS 2021 internship cohort will have the opportunity to gain working experience in a congressional office and in government affairs for UPS. These interns will work in a congressional office Mondays through Thursdays and work in UPS’s D.C. office on Fridays.
The STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) internship is sponsored by the American Petroleum Institute (API) and is designed for individuals interested in pursuing a career in public policy with a background in energy, engineering, or the hard sciences. Interns will split their time between a Congressional office and the API office in Washington, D.C. They will work three (3) days in a Congressional office and two (2) days at API during the week. To be eligible for the STEM internship, applicants must be pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in a STEM field.
2021 Internship Program Dates: June 2021 – August 2021
Application Deadline: February 5, 2021 at 5pm EST
Questions? Please contact: email@example.com
If you’re interested in learning more, we will be hosting an information session over Zoom in the coming weeks:
Mon Dec 14 @5pm EST Info Session for Congressional Internship
APAICS Congressional Interns will receive
- Professional work experience in a congressional office
- Benefits: The grant for the Congressional Internship is $2,500. Payments are made in two $1,250 installments. The first payment is received at the beginning of the internship, the second payment is received at the end when all program requirements have been completed.
- Leadership development opportunities, networking, access to APAICS alumni network and more
- Work 40 hours a week at placement site
- Attend a one-day orientation
- All interns are required to participate in APAICS orientation and training programs
- Complete weekly journals
- Submit a program evaluation at the end of the internship
- Comply with APAICS policies regarding work performance and personal conduct