The Center for Democracy in the Americas is hiring two qualified undergraduate candidates interested in building constructive and respectful relations between the U.S. and countries of the Americas. CDA currently expects the spring internship to be virtual.
CDA interns work with staff members to monitor and analyze current events, work with partners in Congress to change policy, and amplify our message in communications to policymakers and the public. In addition to substantive work, interns are also assigned essential administrative tasks that build the nuts-and-bolts skills necessary to run a nonprofit organization. Interns work in three key areas: Policy and Advocacy; Communications and Social Media; and Nonprofit Development.
Specific duties include:
- Help CDA draft and edit the U.S.- Cuba News Brief and other communications materials
- Monitor and report on developments in legislation pertaining to our program areas
- Attend and report on events and talks held virtually, as well as congressional hearings, pertaining to our program areas.
- Update and maintain CDA website, social media sites, and databases
- Help prepare direct mail and email campaigns
- Other duties as needed
Qualifications: Demonstrated interest in Latin America and the Caribbean; attention to detail; strong organizational and communication skills; initiative, flexibility, and a positive attitude; working proficiency in Spanish and in G Suite programs; and the commitment to work between 24–40 hours a week.
Compensation: CDA provides a modest stipend. CDA will complete any evaluations or paperwork necessary for interns to receive academic credit for their work.
- The application form on our website
- Resume including at least two references with email addresses and daytime phone numbers
- Cover letter in which you state:
- Why you are interested in interning at CDA
- Why you are interested in foreign policy in Latin America and the Caribbean
- What skills you will bring to CDA
- Writing sample (3-5 pages) in English; content should be relevant
- Unofficial Transcript(s)
- [OPTIONAL] Recommendation letter(s): may come separate from or later than the rest of your materials
The application deadline for the spring internship is November 15. Please apply directly on our website at www.democracyinamericas.org/internship. If you have any questions please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Center for Democracy in the Americas is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.