Columbia University’s Online Immersion Programs offer immersive academic experiences for high-achieving high school students from around the world. To assist in the execution of the program, the University hires undergraduate and graduate students to work as Online Course Facilitators (OCFs).
The role is ideal for academic-oriented, growth seeking college students who are interested in collaborating with others to create an ideal virtual classroom experience. Online Course Facilitators hone their organizational and technical skills in the classroom by assisting instructors with virtual techniques and programs. Courses will range from the arts to computer programming All available courses can be found here. Course Facilitators will also have the opportunity to gain professional skills necessary for working in any field.
The OCF program is divided into two parts:
- A two-week Seminar in which OCFs work with program veterans and administrative staff to learn new skills for the virtual classroom. Training will include learning how to navigate Columbia systems and technologies as well as trainings geared toward communication and organizational skills. Additionally, staff will work with program instructors to help prepare for the start of classes.
- A Practicum, lasting seven weeks*, in which Online Course Facilitators are assigned a course to assist with. During this time, OCF’s work directly with program instructors on the day to day execution of the online classroom experience. Using skills developed during the Seminar, interns are responsible for creating a cohesive, lively, and smooth classroom experience.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Attend training sessions and modules to learn the online curricular technology being used for the virtual classroom. Technologies include, but are not limited to, CourseWorks and Zoom.
- Perform classroom support duties as assigned by the program or designated instructor.
- Work to ensure that students are effectively and responsibly engaging with their course work and community life.
- Be attentive to program events, news, schedule and calendars and serve as a resource to students and other community members in respect to such items.
- Engage seriously in the program and seek to make a contribution that furthers the goal of building community among the interns, staff, and high school students.
Program Dates: June 14th, 2021 – August 13th, 2021
Online Course Facilitators must be able to commit to the entirety of the program which includes the 2-week training and 7-week practicum. Hours will range from 20-30 hours per week.
Must have completed at least one academic year of study at an American college or university by the start of the internship. Employees are required to be in the United States for the duration of their appointments.
- Experience with Zoom and Canvas.
- Proven ability to work effectively within a collaborative team setting.
- Ability to work independently on multiple work streams.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a mature, professional manner.
To apply for this position, please complete the online application here. More instructions on the process is listed within the application.
To learn more about the Program for High School Students, visit our website.
*Opportunities to continue working as an OCF will be available in the following Fall and Spring terms