Constructive, a leading social impact design firm based primarily in New York and operating with a remote workforce, is accepting applications for our 2021 Apprenticeship Program. We are looking for one exceptional person to join our diverse team of strategic mission-focused, and creative thinkers.
Constructive’s 6-month, paid Apprenticeship Program is ideal for young designers who want hands-on experience learning the professional skills needed to produce great work for ambitious clients, who have a passion for branding and design, who think creatively and strategically, and who want to make a meaningful difference on issues like climate change, education, and social justice.
This apprenticeship is for individuals focused on visual design. You’ll learn some UX fundamentals, but it is not for UX or product designers.
What you’ll learn:
- You’ll learn about our design, branding, and strategy processes from senior experts while you sharpen your design thinking, creative skills, and knowledge of UX on internal and client projects.
- You’ll learn how nonprofit organizations strategically communicate with different audiences and how design connects those audiences to affecting change.
- You will learn about the business side and the production of design, particularly how projects are set-up, tracked, and evaluated for financial and client success.
- You’ll learn how strategic design agencies build client relationships and successfully manage projects on their behalf.
- You’ll deepen your understanding and appreciation of what you love doing while exploring your passions and talents, and expanding your skill sets.
What you’ll be doing:
- You’ll work closely with mentors from the design team to learn how we design websites and communications for nonprofits and foundations. We’re a boutique digital agency, so you’ll be working with and learning from our most senior people.
- You’ll get real-world experience working producing designs for clients, working closely with a team of strategists, designers, and developers to extend ideas and eventually develop concepts independently.
- You’ll hone your design production skills, working closely with design and development leads to ensure that design ideas are effectively translated into responsive, interactive experiences.
- You’ll participate in our daily standups, internal meetings, client presentations, and workshops to learn how design teams plan and deliver strategic design for social impact.
- You’ll have regular 1-1 mentoring with our Director of UX & Strategy, Art Director, and from our founder.
- You’ll participate in project retrospectives where our team evaluates project success and creates solutions to strengthen our processes.
- Once you’ve learned our production workflow and standards of delivery, you will make more contributions to client projects.
- We’ll review your work on an ongoing basis and help you develop your technical, creative, and leadership skills.
- How you’ll be compensated:
- The selected candidate will be asked for a 6-month commitment of 24 hours per week
- Alongside professional development and individual mentorship, you will receive total compensation of $9,000 for the apprenticeship, paid bi-weekly.
- You will receive a performance bonus at the end of the apprenticeship based on your growth and contributions.
- At the conclusion of the apprenticeship, there is the potential for a 6-month extension at up to $15,000 and/or advancement to a full-time position.
A bit about diversity and inclusivity:
We believe strongly that diversity is one of our greatest strengths—that the more perspectives we bring to the mix, the better we are as people, and the better partner we are for our clients and their missions. To foster more diversity amongst our teams and community, we are are actively seeking job applicants who reflect a broad representation of differences, including race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, physical ability, neurodiversity, age, veteran, family and economic status and background, geographical background and status, and perspective.
Constructive is an equal opportunity employer that is deeply committed to creating and maintaining a diverse, anti-racist organization that is equitable, inclusive, and supportive for all. Women and BIPOC candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who we’re looking for:
- Ideal candidates will have strong knowledge of design fundamentals (typography, color, grid systems, etc.) and a deep interest in strengthening them even more.
- A portfolio of work that shows off your talent and creativity — personal, professional, volunteer, or student work are all acceptable.
- Someone who is ambitious, versatile, organized, detail-oriented, team-focused, and always learning, and who pushes their own thinking.
- Has experience using Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign), and Invision at a minimum.
- A sample of how we phase your learning during your apprenticeship:
- Onboarding: You’ll primarily focus on learning how nonprofit organizations communicate with their stakeholders and audiences. You’ll help designers produce a wide range of design deliverables, conduct design research, select photography assets, and help us with tasks that will give you the necessary onboarding experience.
- Design: You’ll start with extending completed design concepts across projects, then move into creating concept boards, designing new concepts, and page designs. You’ll strengthen your fundamentals for great typography, color theory, and layout—and learn how to think critically about how they translate strategy into tangible experiences.
- User Experience and Information Architecture: You’ll learn about the basics of User Experience design as you continue working on visual design projects. You’ll learn how to create information architecture documentation and wireframes. You’ll also have opportunities to observe or participate as we conduct usability studies.
- Ongoing practice: You’ll help with quality assurance testing for your own design work as it goes into development. You might be leading your own projects, participating in retrospectives for your projects, and finding out what you really love doing most. You’ll know how we do everything from start to finish.
Interested? Great! Then please send an email titled “Constructive Design Apprentice” to email@example.com with the following:
- Your résumé or CV
- A cover letter telling us a bit about yourself and why you’re interested in working with Constructive (applications without proper cover letters will not be considered)
- Answers to the following questions:Why are you interested in a design apprenticeship, and what do you hope to gain from working with and learning from our team?
- What values drive you and your work?
- What do you like to do when you are not working?
- A link to your online portfolio (applications without portfolios will not be considered). Please note that personal, professional, volunteer, or student work are all acceptable.
Any additional questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.