Our firm, Cook & Bynum Capital Management, is seeking to immediately hire a high-performing research analyst. The professional will join a tight knit, highly collaborative research team and will work closely with our portfolio manager, Richard Cook. An ideal candidate will be intellectually curious and open to new ideas, with a desire to dig deeply and intensely to uncover answers and objective truths. Because we invest in public equities around the world, global travel is a critical part of our process. This on-the-ground research, in which all of our analysts participate, allows us to best underwrite companies and their customers, suppliers, and competitors.
Our Firm & Philosophy
We research and invest from the bottom-up and concentrate our capital in our best ideas. We are long-term value investors in undervalued businesses that have sustainable competitive advantages and are run by excellent managers. We demand a margin of safety to prevent permanent capital loss when we make mistakes and provide outsized returns when we are correct. We identify these businesses through immersive research and think carefully about which companies fall within our circle of competence. Since the firm’s founding in 2001, we have applied this strategy in global public equity markets to companies of all market cap sizes. Our current portfolio is comprised of 8 great businesses that are publicly listed in the United States, Belgium, Mexico, Chile, Peru, and Turkey.
We use this approach to invest on behalf of our clients – which include family offices, high net worth investors, and RIAs – through private partnerships, a mutual fund, and separately managed accounts. We also eat our own cooking. Our partners invest substantially all of their investable net worth in these vehicles to best align our interests with those of our investors. The firm’s total AUM is $260 million.
The analyst will have the primary responsibility of supporting the research team’s efforts and will report directly to the portfolio manager, Richard Cook Our analysts are generalists, so you will have the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of companies and industries.
- Our goal is to identify great companies and invest in them at attractive valuations.
- We make investment decisions using mental models derived from a variety of different intellectual disciplines, including economics, accounting, physics, biology, psychology, and others. Over time, you will acquire the skills and pattern recognition required to accurately assess and predict business prospects across a variety of industries, geographies, and asset classes.
- We want to understand how a business makes money and if this profitability is likely to persist. To learn this, you will perform both quantitative and qualitative fundamental analysis, which includes analysis of financial documents and reports, financial modeling, reading widely, and interviews with current and former managers, competitors, customers, suppliers, and other analysts. Continuous learning is at the heart of our approach.
- Our investment process is global, so you will research different countries, cultures, political regimes, regulatory frameworks, and macroeconomic conditions to find suitable conditions for investment. You will have the opportunity to travel globally to drive this research.
We are a flat, nimble organization and a secondary responsibility of the analyst will be to support and gain exposure to the firm’s other functions, including trading and investor relations.
What We Are Looking For
- Up to 3 years of experience; undergraduate candidates are encouraged
- Strong analytical ability
- Self-motivation and intellectual curiosity
- Comfort with domestic and international travel
- Foreign language skills are a plus