About Costello Medical
Costello Medical is a rapidly growing global healthcare agency specializing in medical communication and health economic and outcomes research. We work with a wide range of clients, including the industry’s most successful pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, patient and public health bodies and charitable organizations. Our lasting client partnerships create a direct and measurable impact on the successful launch of novel therapies and devices across a wide range of disease areas. Our vision is to be a community of the very best people, constantly challenging ourselves to make meaningful and outstanding contributions to improving healthcare.
We are committed to our company values which are central to creating our fun, friendly and innovative workplace in which we strive to deliver the highest standards of quality. We were founded in Cambridge, UK, in 2008 and have grown to a team of over 150 based across multiple offices in the UK and Singapore. In January 2020 we opened our first US office to better serve our existing US clients and to expand our US and global reach.
This role is well-suited to individuals with excellent communication skills who enjoy using mathematics, economics and statistics to problem-solve and answer real world questions relating to the economic impact of decisions in healthcare. Applicants should have a genuine interest in the healthcare industry and a strong desire to contribute to this setting.
You will be based in our brand-new office in Boston and will join the team at its foundation in growing our health economics service offering. This presents opportunities to shape and drive our US company; an endeavor supported by the success of our existing operations in the UK and Asia-Pacific. You will work closely with our Scientific Director, who will be based in Boston and has 10 years’ experience in the industry, and other senior colleagues in the US and globally.
Health Economists develop economic models to inform decisions on the efficient allocation of resources available to healthcare providers, and communicate these insights to a variety of stakeholders in the healthcare industry. Economic models within the realm of healthcare are quantitative assessments of the impact of healthcare treatments, practices and policies, either through cost-effectiveness analyses or separate cost and benefit considerations. These models are typically built in Microsoft Excel, C++, or R, employing universal mathematical and statistical modelling techniques.
The models developed by Health Economists have real world implications, aiming to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems by using robust methodological frameworks to inform decision-making. Producing an economic evaluation therefore requires Health Economists to:
- Research and critically appraise medical and economic literature
- Liaise with external medical professionals
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across healthcare disciplines
- Understand the theoretical health economic framework and apply this to the project at hand
- Build high-quality, technically robust and clinically valid models in Microsoft Excel or other software
- Interpret and analyse model results, producing technically accurate written reports of methodologies and outcomes
Model development can frequently involve fitting statistical distributions and parametric survival curves to clinical data and therefore requires a good knowledge of statistics.
We are currently recruiting for start dates throughout 2021.
What Background Should You Have?
- A bachelor’s degree or higher qualification in a relevant discipline (minimum GPA 3.3). Relevant disciplines are those that demonstrate a high level of technical and mathematical ability, such as mathematics, economics, physics or computer science. Postgraduate training in statistics or modelling is desirable, though not required. However, applicants should feel comfortable with statistical concepts
- Advanced skills in Excel and knowledge of VBA are required. Familiarity with other software (such as R, C++, SAS) is desirable but is not required. A willingness to learn new technical and programming skills is important for the role
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to explain complex modelling techniques and results to non-experts
- The ability to use your initiative and work independently, in addition to working collaboratively within project teams
- A high degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Flexibility to respond to changing deadlines
Whilst we offer full training and mentoring to those looking to start their career in Health Economics, experience of having applied economic and mathematical modelling techniques in an industry setting would be desirable and we welcome applications from those who have prior industry experience.
We provide full funding for a range of substantial postgraduate qualifications with paid study leave, exceptional internal training, opportunities to work on pro bono and charitable projects, and regular company-funded social activities.
What We Offer
- The starting salary for the role is $62,000 – $67,000 depending on your previous experience
- Private medical and dental insurance
- Generous paid leave entitlement
- Retirement savings (401k)
- Paid funding for external education and study leave
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Flexible working hours
Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.
Health Economists will receive both internal and external training tailored to their needs, whether on technical aspects of the role or on effective project management and client communication. You will be joining a small and growing team and therefore will get the opportunity to interact directly with clients extremely quickly. You will be presented with opportunities for development and tailored progression dependent on your prior experience and performance.