About Costello Medical
Costello Medical is a rapidly growing global healthcare agency specializing in medical communication and health economic and outcomes research. We work with a wide range of clients, including the industry’s most successful pharmaceutical and medical technology companies, patient and public health bodies and charitable organizations. Our lasting client partnerships create a direct and measurable impact on the successful launch of novel therapies and devices across a wide range of disease areas. Our vision is to be a community of the very best people, constantly challenging ourselves to make meaningful and outstanding contributions to improving healthcare.
We are committed to our company values which are central to creating our fun, friendly and innovative workplace in which we strive to deliver the highest standards of quality.
We were founded in Cambridge, UK, in 2008 and have grown to a team of over 150 based across multiple offices in the UK and Singapore. In January 2020 we opened our first US office to better serve our existing US clients and to expand our US and global reach.
About the Role
The Medical Writer position is ideal for recent graduates in the sciences, and those with experience in scientific research, who are seeking the opportunity to apply their knowledge to real-world projects. You will be based in our brand-new office in Boston and will join the team at its foundation. This presents opportunities to shape and drive our US company; an endeavor supported by the success of our existing operations in the UK and Asia-Pacific. You will work closely with our Scientific Director, who will be based in Boston and who has 10 years’ experience in the industry, and other senior colleagues in the US and globally.
Medical Writers work to produce publications that communicate key scientific and clinical data to a wide audience, including healthcare professionals, policy makers and patients. This includes the development of abstracts and peer-reviewed manuscripts, as well as posters and oral presentations for large international congresses, with the opportunity to provide on-site support at such events. In addition, you may have the chance to work on strategic publications planning, regulatory documents, and materials to support scientific exchange with healthcare professionals. The work is structured on a project-by-project basis and you will usually be working on several projects in different disease areas at any one time.
You will work in project teams alongside experienced colleagues, who provide one-to-one training in the technical aspects of the role, including good publication practice, project management and effective client communication. Delivering project work requires close collaboration with clients and world-renowned opinion leaders, and you will increasingly participate in teleconferences and face-to-face meetings with external stakeholders.
This role is for those looking to apply their scientific writing and creative skills to deliver high-impact publication projects to a wide range of clients. Positions are available for those looking for an entry-level role in the field as well as those with some prior experience. We are looking for ambitious individuals with the potential to progress rapidly into more senior roles involving greater project management and client responsibility.
What Background Should You Have?
We are looking for individuals who are collaborative, self-motivated and enthusiastic, with a passion for scientific writing and an interest in providing a great service to clients.
Essential requirements for the role are:
- A bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline (minimum GPA 3.3). We welcome applications from candidates with a diverse range of educational backgrounds, but particularly those with coursework in the life sciences
- Excellent written and spoken fluency in English
- An ability to communicate scientific materials clearly in both written and oral form
- Excellent understanding of and ability to apply scientific concepts
- Close attention to detail
- Aptitude for and experience with scientific writing which could include dissertations, research summaries, lab reports, poster or oral presentations, peer-reviewed scientific publications, book chapters, literature reviews, grant applications, regulatory documents, and articles for websites or student magazines
- Competency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage your time and meet deadlines
- No previous experience in this sector is necessary, but you should display a genuine interest in healthcare and an eagerness to learn about new areas of clinical science. Applicants with higher-level qualifications in a scientific discipline are welcomed but this is not a requirement.
We provide full funding for a range of substantial postgraduate qualifications with paid study leave, exceptional internal training, opportunities to work on pro bono and charitable projects, and regular company-funded social activities.
What We Offer
- The starting salary for the role is $60,000 – $65,000, depending on your previous experience
- Private medical and dental insurance
- Generous paid leave entitlement
- Retirement savings (401k)
- Paid funding for external education and study leave
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Flexible working hours
Please click here to learn about our reward package and the other benefits of working for Costello Medical.