Established in 2018 by managing partner Jason Lucas and parent company Deutsche Finance Group (“DFG”), the U.S. private equity investment platform DFA has successfully acquired 14 investments totaling approximately $2.1 billion of equity and $4.9 billion of total projected capitalization. The investments include joint ventures with local, national, and international partners for office, residential, hospitality, life sciences, and student housing assets. DFA’s properties are located in New York City, San Francisco, Boston, Miami Beach, Beverly Hills, Boulder, and Minneapolis (further details at https://dfamerica.com/investments).
DFA’s investment platform serves a global institutional client base including pension funds, insurance companies, financial institutions, family offices, and European retail investors through the following vehicles:
- Institutional investment mandates: Deutsche Finance has separately managed accounts with large German institutions that are looking for unique real estate investments in the United States, in addition to developing other accounts with international investors in Europe, Asia, and the Americas
- Retail funds program: DFG manages funds across multiple investment strategies for more than 30,000 individual retail investors in Europe
DFA has the mandate to pursue investments with the following criteria:
- Asset classes: office (traditional and life sciences), residential (including condos, multifamily, and student housing), select investments across retail, industrial, hotels, and other assets
- Structures: Joint venture equity with local operating partner
- Geography: National program with a bias towards top 20 markets
- Size: $20M-$500M+ of equity per transaction
DFA is based in Denver, Colorado and operates as a small team that is entirely based in the Denver office. The DFA office in Denver is supported by its colleagues in Munich in investor relations, asset reporting, strategic operations, IT, legal, and tax structuring.
The individual will participate in all aspects of research, acquisitions, developments, asset management and dispositions across multiple product types under general supervision of the leadership team. The position will work closely with senior management and is responsible for extensive research at the property and market level and financial underwriting during each stage of the investment life cycle. The individual will assist with executing business plans and provide ongoing support for client reporting and fundraising. By virtue of the small team size, the individual will see and participate in all aspects of the investment process.
Specific activities include:
- Within an investment team, evaluate all types of real estate opportunities by analyzing market trends, industry research and supply/demand fundamentals with the objective of enabling the company to make effective, analytically driven business decisions
- Create and maintain complex financial models using Excel and Argus Enterprise to forecast leveraged cash flows and financial return metrics for potential and existing investments
- Help structure business plans, perform due diligence, and produce well-organized investment memos for presentation to the Investment Committee
- Support an investment team with asset management and reporting processes for existing properties by maintaining underwriting models, reviewing third-party financial reports, creating internal analyses/valuations and making recommendations for all investment opportunities
- Complete other tasks as needed to support DFA’s investment management protocols and to help improve the performance or reduce the risk of an investment
- And most importantly, contributing to investment decisions and execution
Compensation in this position will include:
- Base salary
- Annual bonus
- Excellent benefits plan
- Participation in LTI program