Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals, and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are guided by a passionate, ambitious vision for the future for people and our planet: until justice stands for all, we will never rest. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, D.C.
The Litigation Support Specialist serves an important and varied role in supporting case teams through discovery processes and assisting in the creation of organization-wide eDiscovery guidelines and procedures. In particular, this role will provide assistance with electronic document review and eDiscovery projects, ESI collection and processing, organization of incoming and outgoing productions, and administration of associated cloud based technology platforms.
This position will be located in either our San Francisco CA, Washington, DC., Tallahassee, FL, or Miami, FL offices.
We encourage internal applicants to apply from any of our approved Earthjustice locations.
Platform Administration and Training (20%)
- Work with Litigation Support Manager to administer our online eDiscovery/document review platform.
- Review platform usage and archive/de-archive projects as needed.
- Provide training and support to litigation assistants and attorneys on platform, including developing training materials.
E-Discovery and Document Review Support (40%)
- Partner with case teams to implement appropriate document review and production methodology including providing advice on appropriate production formats, ESI collection, document review strategy.
- Coordinate management of review documents, including incoming/outgoing productions and organization of related work product.
- Perform litigation support duties such as Bates stamping exhibits and linking PDFs, as needed.
- Act as a liaison between the organization’s IT and other administrative departments as well as vendors and case teams.
- Assist case teams with various technical issues, specifically data conversion and importing/exporting production data sets or load files.
eDiscovery Project Support (25%)
- Assist Litigation Support Manager in preparation of various standardized procedures, guidelines, and materials.
- Contribute to and/or participate in publications, presentations, and trainings on various litigation support topics.
- Assist in developing, documenting, and refining necessary procedures to accomplish improved process requirements; advise on technical aspects of existing protocols and identify areas of potential improvement.
- Create document production deliverables by generating custom metadata load files, native files, text files and images in conformance with project specifications. Ensure appropriate OCR, text and image redaction steps are complete.
- Troubleshoot escalated issues.
- Stay current on the rapidly changing technology developments relating to litigation support and eDiscovery.
Litigation Operations Project Support (25%)
- Support Litigation Operations Department on other projects and technology platforms such as New Matter Intake, matter intelligence, litigation calendaring, and legal research tools.
- Tasks may include user account management and data entry of matter and case information.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Experience with Relativity, Logikcull, DISCO, Everlaw, or other similar litigation support and eDiscovery software tools is preferred but not required.
- Experience in litigation, ie: as a case assistant or paralegal, preferred but not required.
- Ability and desire to learn and adapt to new software and systems and gain new technical skills.
- Excellent communication, organizational, as well as writing and interpersonal skills; strong service orientation and ability to developing effective working relationships.
- Ability to work under pressure to facilitate solutions; a self-starter with minimal supervision required.
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to identify and fix errors.
- Willingness to work additional hours or shift working hours to help others with deadline intensive projects; timely and regular attendance is required.
- Willingness to occasionally travel, as needed, to other offices and trial sites.
- Ability to work independently yet respond positively to and coordinate carefully with a direct supervisor housed in a different location.
- Highly value compliance, ethics, and maintenance of information integrity.
- Courteous, professional, and helpful demeanor, possessing a positive attitude.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Salary is based on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $91,700-$101,900
Washington, DC $87,20-$96,900
Tallahassee or Miami, FL $78,000-$86,700
Interested applicants should submit the following:
- Cover letter
Click here to apply: https://app.jobvite.com/j?cj=oNW3ffwL&s=symplicity
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership, and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment-qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.