ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EMERGE Connecticut, Inc. is a self-sufficient social enterprise and 501(c)3 nonprofit committed to assisting formerly incarcerated people in the greater New Haven area in Connecticut successfully integrate back into their families and communities. We work alongside returning citizens seeking a supportive and healthy transition home from incarceration through paid employment, training, academic tutoring, counseling, peer-mentorship, coaching, and other services.
EMERGE’s re-entry model combines on-the-job training and trauma-informed program services that have proven successful in New Haven since July 2011. EMERGE crewmembers simultaneously engage in paid part-time training in construction, landscaping, and property management and in programs designed to promote healing and personal development proven to reduce recidivism. As a social enterprise, EMERGE also operates as a competitive, certified, and fully-insured home improvement contractor that generates 40-50% of our budget in earned revenue annually.
The EMERGE Program Assistant is a key advocate for crewmembers from intake to exit. The Program Assistant will assist two Supervisor/Peer Mentors in facilitating a successful reentry process for EMERGE crewmembers by organizing and documenting both individual and group programming throughout each crewmembers’ experience. The Program Assistant will be responsible for writing case notes, scheduling programs, and advocating for 15 crewmembers simultaneously. This is an Assistant position with the possibility of an Associate position for qualified candidates.
A successful candidate:
- Has strong time-management skills and meets deadlines
- Has a strong understanding of systemic factors surrounding mass incarceration and reentry
- Is comfortable engaging in honest and generative dialogue with colleagues and crewmembers regarding each individual’s reentry journey
- May transition into a more active facilitation role, guided by the Supervisor/Peer Mentors and Executive Director
- Conduct benefit screenings with all new crewmembers for health insurance, SNAP, and cash assistance
- Assist Supervisor/Peer Mentors in recording and organizing files (paper and electronic) on Individual Service Strategies for each EMERGE crewmember, including but not limited to keeping regular case notes (minimum of 1 case note per month per crewmember) from 1-on-1 Case Management sessions
- Coordinate crewmembers’ weekly talk therapy sessions with in-house clinician
- Coordinate Employability Workshops for potential EMERGE crewmembers
- Coordinate Circle of Security Parenting classes
- Coordinate EMERGE Literacy and Numeracy Classroom Training with volunteer tutors to ensure crewmembers’ progress toward Individual Academic Goal, including through IT assistance
- Assist crewmembers as necessary by making referrals to partnering agencies; corresponding with halfway house case managers and probation and parole officers; and identifying employment, education, mental health services, and training opportunities
- Facilitate crewmembers’ child support modification with community partners
- Track retention and recidivism of EMERGE alumni
- Keep current in field of local supportive services through committee work, coalitions, and workshops
- Maintain database on a daily basis, providing reports to Executive Director on program-related grant reports and applications
- Facilitate front office communications in a professional and timely manner through monitoring EMERGE’s main email account and relaying voice messages on office telephones
- Help coordinate events as they pertain to EMERGE crewmembers (e.g. EMERGE Family Day, Holiday Toy Drive, Alumni Real Talk)
- Attend internal and external meetings as required
- Other duties as assigned
Title: Program Assistant / Associate
Wage: $20.75 per hour (unless otherwise negotiated)
Evaluation: New employees are subject to a 90-day evaluation period. Sick time and holidays are not available during that time. A performance review will be conducted at the close of the period based on agreed-upon goals. After the initial evaluation, performance reviews will be conducted on a quarterly basis to assess performance to-date, and to clarify or modify this arrangement, as the need may arise.
Group Benefits: Insurance benefits will not be offered.
Schedule: Monday – Friday: 7:00 am – 2:30 pm (35 Hours/Week)
Time Accruals: 10 Paid Time Off (PTO) Days Annually