Location: Newton or Lexington, MA; flexible to be partially remote
As Strategy & Operations Associate/Snr Associate, you will be the right hand to the CEO tackling some of the organization’s most pressing challenges as we scale nationally. Your skills in data gathering, analysis, and coaching more junior staff will be instrumental as, in partnership with the CEO, you help drive our strategic plan through to successful execution, lead special strategic projects, refine infrastructure to improve operations, and consult to regional staff facing new-to-them operational challenges. You will see how all facets of the business work together to produce value for our students, employees, partners, and investors. This is an excellent opportunity for a strategy consulting or investment banking analyst who aspires to one day be a CEO or COO, has a passion for education, and who wants to make a meaningful difference in the lives of thousands of young people.
About Empow Studios
At Empow Studios, we educate children ages 7-17 in coding, engineering, and digital arts with a focus on fun, discovery, and building a life-long passion in STEM. We have won more awards for excellence, and offer more programs, in more locations, than any other STEM education provider in Massachusetts.
Through our regional offices, we provide:
- STEM summer camps at 20 locations across Massachusetts
- School-year STEM classes for students after school, on weekends, and during school breaks both directly and through partnerships, in more than 50 locations in Massachusetts
- Support to private and public schools nationwide that enable them to provide high quality STEM programs to their students using our instructors, curriculum, and/or technology
- More recently, we have leveraged our deep investment in our proprietary online learning platform and STEM curriculum, TalentBox, to provide online versions of our programs
Our company received venture funding from the LearnLaunch Accelerator, and for the past year we have invested heavily in building the leadership team needed for national expansion of our award-winning programs. Our new CEO brings to Empow deep expertise in education, online learning, and scaling both for profit and nonprofit organizations including several that were successfully taken public or sold to public education technology companies. Our Founder and VP Programs and R&D brings decades of experience in educational pedagogy and technology. Our newest Regional Director was formerly VP Sales for two national education and youth-focused companies. Our Director of Technology, who led the development of our proprietary learning management system TalentBox, has led several companies developing enterprise-class SaaS applications. Our Director of Marketing has previously led marketing at two other education sector companies.
What You Will Do
Drive Strategy into Execution
- Annual Planning. Leveraging existing models, collaborate with regional leaders to create annual goals, budgets and success metrics aligned with our strategic plan
- Dashboards. Track and report progress towards metric- and milestone-based success goals
- Analysis. Proactively identify key milestones and performance metrics that are at risk. Gather and analyze data to assess root causes of these potential problems. Recommend data-driven, actionable, and scalable solutions.
Conduct Special Projects (examples)
- Strategy. Support the CEO in creation of strategic plan for the organization including with research and analysis
- Financing. Partner with CEO on any strategic financing or corporate development matters
- Major contracts. Renegotiate rental contracts; source new leases in new expansion geographies
- Operations manual. Collaborate with all facets of the organization to improve and update the operations manual that defines how all facets of the business run, and that is used by new regional offices to start up effectively
- Knowledge management. Implement knowledge management tools and programs to guide collaboration and sharing of best practices across regional offices
- Manage. Provide on site liaison between our outsourced CFO and regional offices; ensure effective two-way communications and resolve challenges. Ensure smooth operations at our national office including of the finance, HR and admin functions largely by managing staff and external vendors
- Support. Consult to regional administrative staff to help solve new or unusual operational problems
- Improve. Lead cross-office and cross-functional teams to improve key facets of operations. For example: partner with CEO to improve talent processes such as performance management and professional development; partner with Director of Technology to improve operation’s IT infrastructure
Characteristics of an ideal candidate
- 2+ years of experience in strategy consulting, investment banking, or leading strategic initiatives
- Strong analytical acumen, with proven ability to produce data-driven insights and creative recommendations to solve complex strategic problems
- Strong operational orientation with experience creating processes and infrastructure, often leveraging technology, to reduce costs and improve quality
- Proven ability to achieve goals in face of challenging obstacles; resourceful, flexible, tactful, and persistent
- Excellent interpersonal skills; able to build trusting relationships, facilitate problem solving, and lead through influence and expertise
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities including a mix of long-term and urgent projects
- Strong communicator — both oral and written
- Adapt at adapting and thriving within a fast-paced, results-driven, rapidly changing environment
- Comfortable using desktop and enterprise software for operations and data analysis including Excel, Quickbooks, Data Studio, and Hubspot; proficient in some of these
- Demonstrated passion and commitment to working in education. Experience working in education or education technology is a plus.
- A BA/BS degree is required
If you don’t meet 100% of the above characteristics, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that meeting just 50% of a role’s requirements puts you in the running.
Salary and Benefits
The salary for this position is $55,000 – $70,000 annually. The compensation and title (Associate or Snr Associate) will be based upon experience. This is a full-time position that includes benefits.
Please send us a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience approach, meet, or exceed characteristics of an ideal candidate and stating how you heard about this opportunity. Please apply by sending application materials (cover letter, resume) to email@example.com with role title, first and last names as the subject header.
Empow Studios is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Empow Studios values diversity of all kinds and encourages candidates from all backgrounds to apply for this opportunity. Empow Studios is an E-verify Employer.