Location: Branford, CT
This Optical Engineer (“OE”) participates in a team role in the Design Team of our Laser enabled single-cell capture system. The OE is principally responsible for developing optical-mechanical designs and conducting analysis that satisfies customer-desired performance. Such designs must be toleranced for fabrication & assembly and analyzed for performance in the presence of the environmental conditions demanded by the application. Optical Engineers must function in a multi-disciplinary capacity and be able to describe the impact of real-world error sources on optical performance. This includes optomechanical and or electro-optical analysis to predict final performance both at the Enrich as well as in a research lab setting. The optical analysis is applied throughout our manufacturing and assembly process to understand and ensure that models accurately describe the true performance. The OE will play a key role in planning and participating in the execution of custom projects as well as in making continual improvements to standard production that increase quality and performance. Engineers are required to determine and execute assembly and metrology processes from customer requirements, and then translate them into executable methods, and procedures in order to complete successful projects. Engineers also function in the role of project leaders – making sure that projects are implemented correctly, on-time, on-budget, and meet all quality requirements. In a project leadership role, engineers are required to interface directly with customers and suppliers advising on progress, making supply chain decisions, and managing the process of problem-solving and risk mitigation. Engineers are “hands-on” at Enrich and often are required to operate advanced equipment and personally finish product on the floor and in the lab.
• Conceive and analyze optical designs for new and modified microscopes for earth imaging and laser communications. Compare design trade-offs with manufacturability, cost, mass, and key performance metrics.
• Develop procedures that will enable manufacturing and testing of the designed systems.
• Interface with mechanical and electrical specialists to complete systems modeling, analysis, and methods of performance verification.
• Be able to quickly acquire technical knowledge from documentation and on-the-job training and be capable of thoroughly investigating analytically technical issues;
• Have strong written and oral communicative skills, be able to perform data analysis, interpret results, write reports and present results; Contribute to scientific literature and conferences;
• Identify critical factors and steps for ongoing projects that impact the overall success of the project; Participate in the decision process for technology/equipment selections.
• Be detail-oriented, organized, and capable of implementing complex tasks and keeping good notes in writing;
• Demonstrated “team player” with a quality orientation and interpersonal skills. Provide guidance, training, and supervising to junior staff;
Degree in Optical Engineering preferred, but other engineering or scientific degrees with both experience and record of performance considered. Master or Ph.D. degree in mechanical, optical, industrial, or manufacturing engineering with 2+ years’ experience. Industry experience of designing and building complex devices is highly desired; Understanding of photochemistry is desired;
Preferred Engineering Background:
Understanding of lens optics and fluorescence microscopy.
Experience working with optics assembly and manufacturing processes.
Understanding of lasers;
Understanding of Stereolithography (SLA or SL; also known as stereolithography apparatus, optical fabrication, photo-solidification)
Excellent creativity to conceptualize and implement innovative ideas;
Proven ability to bring concepts through development and into production;
Design experience with stepper motor, linear actuators and Scara robots;
Design experience with motion and position sensors;
Experience in machine design with understanding of mechanical assemblies, machining, and tolerances;
Marlin or other robot control firmware;
Experience with C/C++ and/or Python;
United States (Required)
Enrich Therapeutics Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.