ETS’s AI Research Labs are seeking a highly qualified candidate to serve as the Director of Impact Research for the Personalized Learning and Assessment (PLA) research laboratory. The innovative and research-focused individual will establish and oversee a strategic program of research focused on applying foundational research principles and evaluating the impact and efficacy of emerging product prototypes and AI capabilities. The program of research will involve prototypes built on a foundation of learning and cognitive science principles that leverage interactive task design, machine learning, and data sciences to be integrated in various teaching, learning, and assessment solutions.
As a core member of the PLA lab leadership team, the Director of Impact Research will be responsible for setting a clear and effective research strategy, developing and implementing best practices across the Lab projects, promoting user-focused, agile-friendly methods of research, and manage a highly talented group of research scientists.
The Director is expected to have a well-established reputation as a thought leader, a team leader, and as an accomplished scientist in the field of learning science, cognitive science, and/or related personalized learning field.
- Oversee the development and implementation of a strategic and impactful personalized learning and assessment multi-year research agenda that supports and advances new product development efforts and initiatives. The agenda is expected to evaluate the impact of proposed solutions, identify areas for improving efficacy, and determine the degree of meeting customer challenges.
- Provide leadership in the design and execution of market-facing, user centered research studies including user validation, ecological efficacy, and design impact studies. Support the members of the lab in their agile research processes and introduce new methodologies where appropriate.
- Provide leadership in the design and implementation of complex research projects involving the coordination of interrelated tasks performed by cross-functional teams of scientists, associates, and other experts (e.g., data scientists, learning scientists, instructional designers, user experience researchers), and monitor all impact and efficacy-related research activities for the lab.
- Act as a thought leader internal and external to ETS sharing new ideas through various communication outlets including formal and informal publications, conference presentations, and other speaking engagements; maintain active engagement with and leadership in relevant professional organizations.
- Establish and maintain close collaborative relationships with recognized leaders in the field of learning science, personalized learning and assessment, and educational technology.
- Establish and support a research climate and culture that expects high-quality scholarship, leverages industry best practices, as well as fosters and encourages collaboration among scientists and associates both within the PLA lab and across other labs and research centers and demonstrates a commitment to increasing diversity and representation.
- Mentor and develop staff focused on addressing a wide range of PLA and educational measurement issues. Provide guidance in all stages of conducting research including formulation of research questions, framing of successful proposals, design of research projects, developing problem statements, identifying target user groups, engaging with users, analysis of data, and publication.
- Develop scientists in various stages of their careers. Guide their work priorities and assignments; provide counsel and career advice; provide opportunities for the staff to grow and develop and to take appropriate initiative; provide constructive feedback to research staff.
Experience and Skills
Education, Certifications, or Special Licenses:
- A doctoral degree in Educational Research or Measurement, Cognitive or Learning Science, or a closely related field is required. Strong background in educational measurement is also required. A masters degree with relevant experience would also be considered.
Relevant Years of Experience:
- At least six years of experience leading research efforts in the area of personalized learning and assessment (formative and summative, cognitive and non-cognitive), and evidence of independent scholarly research. Demonstrated experience managing teams is also required.
- Passionate about educational opportunities and equity in education
- Experience in the research of assessment and learning solutions in various educational contexts (PK, K-12, HED, Language Learning, Professional training)
- Application of agile development, user centered design and experience with user centered research
- Experience with educational technology
- Proven record of establishing relevant and impactful research priorities and agendas
- Strong evidence regarding strategic thinking and problem solving
- Established ability to interact successfully with colleagues in the field on substantive issues, and to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of other stakeholders
- Strong administrative skills, including the ability to prioritize needs and resources
- Handle multiple tasks, and establish and meet deadlines
- Proven skills and abilities in building, leading, and facilitating research teams
- Demonstrated ability to support the professional and scientific growth and development both of experienced and less experienced colleagues