ETS is the world’s premier educational measurement institution and a leader in educational research and development. As an innovator in the AI, personalized learning, and language learning space, we are determined to advance educational excellence for the communities we serve. Solutions developed in the ETS AI Labs will be integrated in various teaching, learning, and assessment contexts through one of three inaugural research labs that leverage AI to create cutting edge technology to solve the most pressing needs of learners around the world. The three AI labs include the Natural Language Processing Lab, the Personalized Learning and Assessment Lab, and the Language Learning, Teaching, and Assessment Lab.
The Managing Senior AI Engineer has excellent technical, communication, and people management skills. They will direct and manage a group of talented AI Engineers and Data Scientists working in multidisciplinary teams actively pursuing technology innovation in the personalized adaptive learning technologies space. They will collaborate with Research, Learning, and Data Scientists, NLP Engineers, User Experience experts, Software Developers, and Product Owners that utilize the agile framework and design thinking practices to execute rigorous backlogs and deliver high-powered solutions.
- Design and develop scalable solutions using AI tools and ML models
- Explore and guide teams on the selection and implementation of new AI practices
- Understand strategic and learning/assessment objectives and integrate, test, tune, and optimize AI solutions to achieve them
- Develop effective methods of AI/ML model testing during development, deployment, and recalibration
- Train and retrain machine learning models and provide metrics to document and track their performance.
- Perform research and testing to develop ML algorithms and predictive models.
- Establish and contribute to the definition of best practices around design, coding, automated unit, regression testing, deployment of AI/ML models to production, and responsible use of AI
- Keep current of latest AI research in the personalized learning and assessment field and contribute to the research
- Work closely with learning scientists and data scientists to define collection events and data transformations needed to drive personalized learning
- Work with senior data scientists to lead on the development of data ingest and data transformation infrastructure
- Explore data and identify differences in data distribution that could impact performance when deployed in prototypes
- Lead initiatives and clearly communicate findings and capability recommendations to senior leadership
- Work closely with Product Owners to understand potentials and limitations of AI/ML capabilities
- Manage, coach, and mentor a team of AI Engineers and Data Scientists
- Work effectively in the agile-at-scale framework
- Participate in area-wide staff training and development sessions
Experience and Skills
Education, Certifications, or Special Licenses:
Senior Level: MS in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or a related field is required. Additional coursework in cognitive or computer science is desirable.
Principal Level: A Masters or PhD in learning engineering, design, instructional design, or related area
Relevant Years of Experience:
Senior Level: At least five years of training or experience in AI/ML algorithm development; at least three years in technology enhanced learning solution research and development; at least three years managing a team of engineers; extensive experience with Python-based AI/ML frameworks, Java, and R; experience with ML frameworks (like Keras or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn); knowledge and practical application of advanced statistical analysis and mathematical modeling concepts and principles; excellent communication skills; ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team
Principal Level: At least eight years of training or experience in AI/ML algorithm development, at least six years in technology enhanced learning solution research and development, at least six years managing a team of engineers; extensive experience with Python-based AI/ML frameworks, Java, and R, extensive experience with ML frameworks (like Keras or PyTorch) and libraries (like scikit-learn), knowledge and practical application of advanced statistical analysis and mathematical modeling concepts and principles, excellent communication skills, ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team
- Experience engaging with target market and user segments to understand their needs and aligning solutions with those needs
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively in agile teams
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with cross-divisional stakeholder groups
- Strong oral and written communication skills