Alger is seeking bright and enthusiastic Interns to join our equity investment team in Summer 2021. We favor candidates who are passionate about investing, embrace challenges and thrive in a dynamic environment.
Job Title: Research Intern – Undergraduate
Location: Headquartered in New York City in a modern office space near Madison Square Park, Alger offers great benefits and encourages employees to become involved in their community. In particular, we encourage our employees to participate, to give their time and talents, not just money, to charitable events and organizations the Firm supports through our employee run charitable committee, the Alger Candlelight Giving Program. Pensions & Investments has noted, “Fred Alger Management Inc. [is] one of the most charity-oriented workforces in the investment industry.” (Sept. 5, 2011). We are as proud of that recognition as we are of our investment success.
Alger’s Investment Team is the engine that drives the Firm’s strong long-term investment returns of our portfolio strategies and success for our clients. Our investment strategies range from U.S. small cap to large cap stocks and International and Emerging Markets growth stocks, in both traditional long-only and long/short hedged equity portfolios. We have over 40+ experienced professionals, led by our portfolio managers and senior sector analysts, who work together to identify and research domestic and global growth trends across all economic sectors to uncover compelling investment opportunities. We target “outside the box” ideas and our firm’s philosophy encourages creative and independent thinking. Each investment idea goes through a rigorous series of analyses by sector specialists rather than generalists. Many of our analysts have direct experience in the industries they invest in and/or advanced degrees in their fields. Compared to other buy-side firms, our teams are small – and this “boutique” culture allows analysts of all levels to contribute. Working in smaller groups, analysts have more responsibilities, rather than being just a “number-cruncher” at a larger firm. With that in mind, we focus on investing in developing talent. With that in mind, we focus on investing in developing talent. Many of our analysts have started their careers at Alger as a winter or summer intern.
Alger Interns learn the fundamentals of investing by working on various projects for Senior Analysts and Portfolio Managers within multiple industries. You will gain experience in building financial models, analyzing third party surveys and valuing companies. The Investment Team welcomes interns to participate in industry conferences as well as meetings with companies’ senior management. Every day is different and interns play a crucial role in helping the analysts and portfolio managers generate insightful investment ideas.
This direct exposure to top level management is rare in the investment community and interns thrive on the ability to work with highly experienced investors. We value our interns’ fresh perspective on the world and markets and often utilize their youthful insights in our research. Additionally, each intern will complete a final project and present the investment idea to the company’s CEO and CIO along with other senior members of the team. An internship at Alger is demanding, but we ensure that you have the guidance to have a successful experience and some fun along the way.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with analyst teams to coordinate the investment opportunities of companies
- Help the research team to create and update financial models, maintain databases that track industry research and statistics. Develop and perform surveys to track industry trends.
- Aid the senior analysts on companies’ earnings reports, including previews and reviews
- Collaborate with the investment team on original research projects and ideas
- Perfect the art of a stock pitch with the goal of being able to generate ideas and profit for the firm
- Passion for the financial markets and investments along with an extraordinary curiosity about business and industry
- Proven quantitative and qualitative analytical capabilities including financial modeling, industry and product analysis and report writing
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or above in a 4.0 scale
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- High level of self-motivation and work ethic along with the ability to complete assignments quickly and accurately
- Strong competitive spirit and desire to succeed
- Ability to work in a team-oriented fast-pace environment both while being able to prioritize projects
- Positive attitude with a willingness to attack challenging intellectual problems
To learn more about Alger, our philosophy and some of the people that drive our investment success please visit our Profiles in Success page HERE.