Galaxy Gives seeks a research associate to join its growing team. Based in New York, NY, the research associate will report to Galaxy Gives’ learning and impact officer and contribute meaningfully to expanding the foundation’s research and analytical capacity.
In this role, the research associate will support the learning and impact officer through work in the following areas: grant and portfolio evaluation, organizational goal and strategy development, institutional and individual learning, and communication of learning and impact findings.
The ideal candidate would have a deeply analytical mindset. The position also requires a natural desire to pursue knowledge, creativity, and project management skills. Equally important will be their passion for the pursuit of justice, equity, and dignity for the most harmed and marginalized people of our society.
Galaxy Gives is committed to providing a nurturing and intellectually stimulating environment that will offer ongoing opportunities for learning and growing. Not only will the research associate gain broad and deep perspectives on the world of philanthropy and nonprofit work in the justice- and democracy-centered issue areas, but they will also participate in realizing Galaxy Gives’ vision of transformative justice and multiracial democracy.
● Conduct preliminary research and write project briefs for the learning questions at hand
● Perform deep-dive secondary research and meta-analyses of justice issues
● Research primary databases and information sources or conduct interviews with experts
● Analyze quantitative data that support the potential qualitative findings in a given project
● Take detailed meeting notes and synthesize them into analytical findings
● Collaborate in designing, building, and maintaining internal databases using various apps and software
● Learn and help to adapt various evaluation approaches
● Collate the appropriate data and analyses for learning and impact field findings
● Help design, start, and maintain an internal newsletter
● Provide the supporting research and write white papers and backgrounders that inform the organizational strategies
● A bachelor’s degree with an emphasis on research-oriented subjects and proficiency in statistics
● Minimum of 2 years of research experience in academic or professional settings
● Skilled querying and information-sourcing abilities
● High degree of comfort with technology, especially with spreadsheet and database software
● Ability to understand and shape the questions at hand for more efficient and accurate research
● Analytical skills that span both the quantitative and qualitative realms, with the ability to translate quantitative findings into a clear narrative in the written format
● Ability to conceptualize strategically and nonlinearly while keeping a clear and strong grasp on details
● Entrepreneurial spirit that is able to translate ideas into tangible projects and steps
● High level of self-awareness, intellectual curiosity, and active listening skills
● Ability to collaborate closely with and learn from many different types of entities and players across varying age/racial/gender demographics (scholars, donors, organizers, nonprofits, independent contractors, etc.)
● Deep understanding of criminal and social justice issues with a high degree of willingness to learn and change perspectives
● Collaborative, collegial working style and sense of humor
● Applicants who are formerly incarcerated and/or have conviction histories are encouraged to apply.
● At this time, our preference is that applicants have authorization to work in the United States. If you need sponsorship for a U.S. work visa, please indicate in your cover letter.
● Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental principles at Galaxy Gives, where employment and promotional opportunities are based upon individual capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation/affectional preference, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic as established under law.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMERS:
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the position. The team member may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary will be commensurate with experience. Galaxy Gives offers a very generous benefits package including payment of 100% of the health insurance premium. We also offer other benefits including life insurance, long‐term disability protection, a group 401(k) retirement plan (with an employer match), and support for continuing education.