GiveDirectly (GD) aims to reshape international giving – and millions of lives – by allowing donors to provide capital grants directly to the world’s poorest. The Brookings Institution estimates that $70B of cash transfers would be required to eliminate the poverty gap; the aid sector currently spends $135B each year, much of which is spent on evidence-free interventions. GiveDirectly wants to change that, establishing a benchmark as Vanguard did for the financial industry (i.e., index fund), and in the process accelerate the end of extreme poverty.
GiveDirectly has raised over $250M in revenue and reached nearly 150,000 households, while being recognized as one of the most innovative non-profit companies by Fast Company. The New York Times Magazine writes, “The beautiful thing about GiveDirectly’s approach is that it lets people devise their own path out of poverty.” The growing movement toward cash transfers and GD’s role in that movement have also been featured in This American Life, Foreign Affairs, The Economist, and Business Insider.
We’re looking for exceptional talent to grow GiveDirectly and the broader cash movement. Our culture is direct, analytical, non-hierarchical, fast-paced, transparent, and hard working. We are open to candidates from any industry and typically recruit from top organizations – members of our team have come to us from private-sector companies (consultancies, law firms, investment banks, etc.), start-ups, and government. We value ability and willingness to learn over years of experience. We offer competitive salary and benefits and performance-based bonuses.
We believe technology will play a critical role in enabling the next generation of cash delivery operations: from recipient identification that doesn’t need boots on the ground to a reformulation of best in class fraud detection. We are seeking a dynamic Director to scale data infrastructure, processes, tools and our team in the service of expanding GiveDirectly’s global impact.
In this role, you will work directly with a range of stakeholders (country directors, field officers, finance managers etc.) to understand their technology use cases and pain points. You will own everything from authoring and implementing data security policies, to designing improvements to our core data platforms, to creating interfaces and visualizations that showcase our operations. You will engage our full tech stack and spend your time prioritizing long term investments against a host of day-to-day field challenges, both technical and operational. If you are interested in owning technology holistically with an eye to scale; willing to be hands on with respect to design, and implementation; and feel passionately about coaching teams on exceptional project and stakeholder management, we want to hear from you.
- Lead engagement with operations, research, finance, and fundraising stakeholders across the org to assess their scope of needs, prioritize projects for release, and define new opportunities
- Mentor and manage a team that is competent across GD’s technical architecture and offers exceptional customer service to internal stakeholders
- Scale project launches and improve our data model and instrumentation to enable a rapidly growing operation (e.g. launching new countries, expanding field teams, and launching new projects from basic income to cash for refugees)
- Define and enforce security principles across the org that protect against fraud risk and ensure compliance
- Act as a technical backstop for software deployed across the organization
- Master the broader competitive landscape to inform product strategies that ensure GD remains a tech-forward leader in the aid industry
What we’re looking for:
- Proficiency with languages/technologies such as Java, Python or C#
- Experience with managing a technical product evaluation process
- Experience with team management and mentorship
- Familiarity with data modeling and design principles
- Some engineering background with preference for CS, software engineer, or equivalent practical experience; also open to strong product manager/data science backgrounds
- Exceptional ability to work with a range of technical and non-technical end users and deploy technology in a variety of contexts
- Passion for both building process and structure to enable scale & jumping into open-ended problems
- Strong alignment with GD values