This position is posted from an outside job board or employer website for the convenience of Yale students. Please note this position was not posted directly at Yale by the employer, and therefore the employer has not reviewed or agreed to any of Yale’s recruiting policies. The University does not endorse or recommend employers, and a posting does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation. The University makes no representations or guarantees about job listings or the accuracy of the information provided by the employer. The University is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions, or any other aspect of off-campus employment. It is the responsibility of students to perform due diligence in researching employers when applying for or accepting opportunities.
GreatSchools is the leading national nonprofit empowering parents to unlock educational opportunities for their children and support stronger schools in their community.
Our website reaches half of all families in the U.S. with school-age children, as well as many teachers and education leaders. We are the only national organization that collects education data from all 51 state departments of education and the federal government and then provides analysis, insights and school quality ratings to parents, communities, advocacy organizations, researchers, policymakers and others. GreatSchools.org reaches 45 million users per year, 40% of whom are from low-income households. We also work to uncover bright spots in American education and catalyze discussions about equity.
We are a small but mighty cross-functional team that cares deeply about the diverse stakeholders we serve. We value and support each other and share a commitment to continuing to learn, grow, and improve together.
We are excited to offer a 9-12 month long Data Acquisition & Partnership internship program (with some flexibility based on graduation dates, etc.) for an undergraduate or graduate student who is interested in the intersection of data and education. The person in this position will gain a deep understanding of the education data landscape at the local, state and national level. They will interact with state and local education agencies, analyze data sets, regularly contribute to GreatSchools data prioritization process, and review and summarize existing literature to inform data strategy.
This is a remote position, with the opportunity to work from our Oakland, CA HQ for Bay Area residents (once it is safe to do so).
– Outreach to state and local education agencies to acquire postsecondary data and other new data sets that could include school practices, evidence of equity and opportunity, and workforce outcomes.
– Collaborate with the GreatSchools data scientists to maintain, track and update the College Success Award data landscape according to new priorities for the award.
– Conduct literature reviews and provide analysis and summary to establish evidence base for new data pilots, including user-generated data questions.
– Regularly update sources for the GreatSchools School Quality Framework catalogue to inform data landscape and prioritization.
– Working closely with data scientists on the team, you will also have the opportunity to assist in the production of data analyses and visualizations required for new data pilots.
- Completed undergraduate and/or graduate coursework in statistics, education or education policy, mathematics, and/or economics
- Familiarity with Tableau data visualization software
- Ability to explain data analyses to a non-technical audience
- Excellent critical thinking, communication and collaboration skills
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- A curiosity about and commitment to equity in education
$23/hour; 8-10 hours/week
9-12 month program (some flexibility based on graduation dates)
First application deadline is November 22nd, with an anticipated start date in January 2022 (flexible based on candidate availability). Applicants who pass the initial screening will be invited to submit a short assignment.
GreatSchools team members are diverse in all ways. We are committed to hiring talented staff who reflect the diversity of the communities and audiences we serve and who believe in supporting all parents, especially those who have been historically underserved. As a proud Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to considering applicants regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.