Archive Fellow – Yale Film Archive
Mentor: Brian Meacham, Managing Archivist
The Yale Film Archive is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented graduate student who is eager to contribute to the archive’s mission to collect, conserve, and provide access to a growing collection of archival film. Established in 1982, the Yale Film Archive holds a diverse collection of film elements including documentary, avant-garde, narrative, and home movies, and shares them through course screenings, researcher access, and our public screening series, Treasures from the Yale Film Archive.
This position provides the opportunity to work hands-on with archival film collections, engage in research to learn more about the history and production of films in the collection, and increase access to the collections through work with the film collection database. The ability to engage with archival film elements is quickly disappearing, and we invite interested students to join the team and help conserve these fascinating examples of physical media.
Duties may include initial film assessment including examination of incoming boxes, cans, and reels; research into film titles, filmmakers, cast, and crew; data entry in the film archive’s database of holdings; and scanning and logging archival film elements. Ideal candidates will have an interest in film and history; an ability to work independently; excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; and experience and skills in research and writing. Hours and start/end dates are flexible.
- Interest in film and history
- Project management
- Ability to work independently/take initiative
- Strong writing skills
- Basic computer/web knowledge
- Curiosity and willingness to learn
- September 6, 2021- September 24, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- September 26, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- November 19, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- December 13, 2021 – January 14, 2022: New fellows onboarding
- January 18, 2022: Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to October 17, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2022 Spring Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Spring 2022 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.