Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Initiative Fellow – Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
Mentor: Molly Hampton, Assistant Director of Programs and Communications
GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship applications for the Fall 2021 Term are now open! GPE Fellowships are an opportunity for Ph.D. students to gain professional experience and develop transferable skills by working on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university.
The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS)
Yale’s Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS) works with more than 6,000 international students and scholars representing more than 120 countries in every school across the university.
For the academic year 2021-2022, OISS is seeking a graduate fellow to work on diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) initiatives in an ongoing effort to ensure that we are providing our international community with the support and resources they need.
The Graduate Fellow will assist OISS in developing DEI resources and programs for our international community. This would include, but would not be limited to:
- Developing two programs/workshops (in-person or virtual) per semester. These programs might focus on topics such as:
- Critical terms, concepts and context of DEI initiatives at Yale and across the U.S.
- Navigating personal identities such as race, gender, and sexuality in the U.S.;
- U.S. history of systemic racism, class structures, and privileged identities;
- Research and curate DEI resources for the OISS website, social media, pre-arrival materials, and newsletters.
- Engage with international students, scholars, and family members to assess needs and implement new initiatives
What You Will Gain
- Experience working with a large international community from all around the world
- Inter-office communications skills
- Web editing and content curation skills
- Planning, marketing, and implementation of an event
Required Background and Preferred Qualifications
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with colleagues to see a project through from start to finish in a virtual environment
- Excellent communication skills, including intercultural sensitivity, a positive outlook, and a lot of patience.
- Proficiency with the entire Microsoft Office Suite, familiarity with web editing software, and experience with social media and marketing. Experience with video editing and graphic design software is a plus.
- Related experience with diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives
- May 24, 2021- June 11, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- June 11, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- July 16, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- August 16, 2021– August 27th, 2021: New fellows on-boarding
- August 30, 2021– Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to July 2, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2021 Fall Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Fall 2021 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.