Editorial Fellow – Yale Alumni Magazine
Mentor: Mark Branch, Executive Editor
GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship applications for the Fall 2021 Term are now open! GPE Fellowships are an opportunity for Ph.D. students to gain professional experience and develop transferable skills by working on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university.
The Yale Alumni Magazine
The Yale Alumni Magazine is a bimonthly print magazine, published by the university and sent to more than 140,000 Yale alumni. Founded in 1891, the magazine was until recently an independent nonprofit, and its editorial discretion and adherence to journalistic standards continue under Yale’s supervision. The magazine reports on issues and events at Yale and also publishes profiles and news of alumni.
Working with the executive editor and others on the magazine’s eight-person staff, the Fellow will assist in the editorial process for the print magazine, website, and social media platforms.
- Provide research assistance for editors of upcoming articles.
- Contribute to the magazine’s social media presence with posts and photographs.
- Help to monitor comments and maintain the magazine’s website.
- Participate in fact-checking articles for the print magazine.
- Write short items for the print magazine and, commensurate with experience and ability, perhaps longer articles.
Required Background and Preferred Qualifications
- Experience and familiarity with online and library research
- Experience and skill with writing for a general audience
- Initiative and problem-solving ability
- Attention to accuracy
- May 24, 2021 – June 11, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- June 11, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- July 16, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- August 16, 2021 – August 27th, 2021: New fellows on-boarding
- August 30, 2021 – Suggested fellowship start date
Note – Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to July 2, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2021 Fall Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Fall 2021 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.