GSAS Communications Fellow – Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
Mentor: April Swieconek, Director of Communications
The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences regularly communicates with approximately 3,000 graduate students, the Yale community, GSAS alumni, and the public through a variety of platforms. The Communications department is responsible for messages from the deans, content development, social media, interactions with the media, crisis communications, and other needs as they arise.
Working with the director of communications, the Fellow will assist with social media strategy and implementation, reporting on graduate student stories and issues, applying website updates, reporting on graduate school activities, and copyediting.
- Working with the director of communications to develop a social media calendar and content
- Interviewing students and faculty for story development
- Writing articles and other items
- Strong writing skills, especially for a general audience
- Familiarity with social media
- Genuine enjoyment meeting fellow scholars in a range of disciplines
- Sensitivity to deadlines
- Attention to accuracy
- Curiosity about the latest research and how it can benefit society and the planet
- September 6, 2021- September 24, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- September 26, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- November 19, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- December 13, 2021 – January 14, 2022: New fellows onboarding
- January 18, 2022: Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to October 17, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2022 Spring Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Spring 2022 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.