Spring 2021 GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship
This fellowship is an exciting new GSAS initiative that offers Ph.D. students the opportunity to work on meaningful projects in university offices, strengthen their skill set, broaden their career exposure, and receive professional mentorship. It is open to PhD students in years 1-6* during the fellowship term. Learn more here!
Digital Strategy Fellowship Position, Manuscripts and Archives, Sterling Library
Manuscripts and Archives in Sterling Memorial Library seeks a research fellow that will explore the application of digital humanities tools and methods to born digital archives (personal papers and organizational records that originated on a computer). Archival repositories are tackling a growing number of acquisitions of born digital archives. In the last 20 years the profession has made great strides in safely acquiring the materials and preserving them. However, the format and volume of these materials pose challenges of scale to traditional archival processes.
We are seeking a fellow with an interest in Digital Humanities (DH) to explore how DH tools can be applied to born digital archives and what we can learn from that application. The fellow will learn about the pressing need for archival repositories and how current repositories manage born digital archival materials.
The fellowship builds on a previous fellowship (phase 1) that
- Researched current solutions to describing born digital archival materials
- Conducted interviews with Sterling Library staff
- Wrote a report that recommends DH tools and methods that will address our needs
- Apply/test recommended DH applications to MSSA collections
- Develop scripts, if needed, and documentation on the recommended applications
- Facilitate staff utilization of recommended applications
- We welcome any applicants who are interested in the archival challenges of the digital age—prior experience with DH tools is a bonus, but not necessary!
- Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2021 Spring term.
- Stipend: Fellows receive $1500 stipend
* 7th-year PhD students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.
Application Process and Deadlines
October 20: Students will be required to submit a resume (not academic CV) and cover letter to the Yale Career Link by this date. Students may apply to more than one position but can only accept one position offer. Note that cover letters should be customized for each application.