Student Programs Fellow – Yale Peabody Museum
Mentor: David Heiser, Director of Student Programs
GSAS Professional Experience (GPE) Fellowship applications for the Fall 2021 Term are now open! GPE Fellowships are an opportunity for Ph.D. students to gain professional experience and develop transferable skills by working on meaningful projects in administrative offices across the university.
The Yale Peabody Museum
The Yale Peabody Museum (YPM) is one of the oldest and largest university natural history museums in the world. The YPM Office of Student Programs was established in 2016 to support the teaching and learning mission of Yale University, and to coordinate and foster the engagement of Yale students in the activities of the Peabody Museum across all its departments and divisions. Every year, 1000+ students learn from Peabody objects and specimens as part of their coursework, and well over 100 students each year develop sustained, long-term relationships with the Museum as research interns, advisors and student employees.
The YPM will open the Horse Island Research Station during summer 2021, a new research and teaching facility in the Thimble Islands of Branford, CT, designed and built by students and faculty from the Yale School of Architecture and the Yale School of the Environment. A previous GSAS Professional Experience Fellow, Elyse Parker, has developed college-level guided educational programs for Horse Island in anticipation of the Research Station’s opening. We will offer visits and guided programs to Yale classes and other groups from the Yale community, and we anticipate high interest from September through November.
The Fall 2021 Student Programs Fellow will support all aspects of group visits to Horse Island. Responsibilities will include but are not limited to: managing logistics such as scheduling, customizing content and activities to match specific interests of groups, and arranging transportation; escorting groups to the island, giving an orientation and island safety introduction, and assisting with the visit/program; and checking and reporting on condition of the Research Station, trails and other parts of the island. The Student Programs Fellow may also support research and teaching activities involving the YPM Guilford Field Station (GFS) and the new YPM research vessel (docked at the GFS). Responsibilities may also include helping the Student Programs office develop a more comprehensive scheduling strategy for all our activities, both on-campus and at our natural properties.
Required Background and Preferred Qualifications
We seek a Fellow who is keenly interested in natural history and/or the museum field, willing to spend time outdoors, and interested in gaining experience with field-based learning. No previous experience in the natural sciences, field programs or museum work is required, but passion for and curiosity about the natural world is encouraged. Top candidates will be highly organized, demonstrate confidence in communication and interpersonal interactions, and have prior experience coordinating activities. The Fellow will work as part of a team in which clear and timely communication is essential, and the time-dependent nature of much of the work will offer opportunities to develop organizational and time management skills.
- May 24, 2021- June 11, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- June 11, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- July 16, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- August 16, 2021– August 27th, 2021: New fellows on-boarding
- August 30, 2021– Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to July 2, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2021 Fall Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Fall 2021 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
- International students should consult with your OISS advisor to confirm eligibility.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.