Whitney Humanities Center Fellow – Whitney Humanities Center
Mentor: Diane Berrett Brown, Associate Director
The Whitney Humanities Center is an interdisciplinary institution that reflects Yale’s longstanding commitment to the humanities. Located at the heart of 320 York, the Whitney promotes research and scholarly exchange across fields.
The Whitney Humanities Center seeks a fellow to work with associate director Diane Berrett Brown to produce content for the WHC blog, From the Quadrangle (https://whc.yale.edu/stone-heads-320-york). From the Quadrangle features innovative work in the humanities at Yale, including research, publications, events, and special projects. In addition to researching and writing materials for From the Quadrangle, the fellow will also develop a network of graduate students interested in writing for From the Quadrangle. The fellow will also work on expanding the Whitney’s social media presence.
- Experience and skill with writing for a general audience.
- Curious and creative, able to work independently and to incorporate editorial feedback.
- Precision and attention to detail.
Why work with us at the Whitney?
The fellow will receive valuable editorial guidance from Diane Berrett Brown, who has recently joined the Whitney after a decade in scholarly publishing. The fellow will learn about—and participate in—workflow in a busy arts organization. The fellow will interact with both the Director and Associate Director of the WHC, as well as with the rest of the WHC team. Depending on the fellow’s interests, the fellow will be welcome to take an active role in events planning and management. Finally, the fellow will develop their own digital presence as they see their writing published on the Whitney Humanities Center website.
- September 6, 2021- September 24, 2021: Weekly GPE Info Sessions
- September 26, 2021: Applications deadline (11:59pm ET). Please submit a resume and a cover letter customized to this fellowship
- November 19, 2021: Interview and award notification to selected fellows
- December 13, 2021 – January 14, 2022: New fellows onboarding
- January 18, 2022: Suggested fellowship start date
Note- Positions with limited applicants may have deadlines extended by 3 weeks to October 17, 2021.
- Eligibility: Fellows must be currently matriculated, Yale doctoral students in years 1-6* of their studies during the fellowship.
- Term: Fellows work at a Yale host organization under the guidance of the host mentor for 5-7 hours per week over the course of 13-15 weeks during the 2022 Spring Term
- Stipend: Fellows will receive $1,500 for Spring 2022 fellowships.
- Please note: The GPE Fellowship does not count towards the fulfillment of your teaching requirement. For more information on teaching requirements, please see the GSAS website.
* 7th-year students with COVID-related funding extensions from GSAS are eligible to apply.