Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) founded in 1985, is a registered investment adviser and wholly owned subsidiary of John Hancock/Manulife Financial Corporation. HNRG is based in Boston, Massachusetts and is comprised of two core businesses; Hancock Timber Resource Group (HTRG) which develops and manages timberland investments and Hancock Agricultural Investment Group (HAIG) which develops and manages farmland investments. As of September 30, 2020, HNRG managed $14.1 billion of timberland and farmland, comprising approximately 5.9 million acres located in the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Chile.
HNRG creates value through the sustainable management of natural resource investments. Through the five pillars of its Sustainability and Responsible Investing (SRI) platform (Ecosystem Resiliency, Watershed Protection, Climate Stability, People Empowerment, and Community Prosperity), HNRG integrates environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors throughout all aspects of its investment decision-making and property management. HNRG’s impacts in 2019 include managing 100% of our eligible timberland investments to third-party sustainability standards, helping to launch an industry-wide sustainability standard and third-party certification program for agriculture, offsetting our corporate GHG emissions, and committing to a strict zero-deforestation policy. Over the past five years our forests and farms have removed an average of 3.1 million metric tons of CO2 annually, and since our founding in 1985 we have planted over 1.1 billion trees.
The Forest Carbon Analyst will be responsible for providing resource analysis and valuation support focused on forest carbon offset economics and analytics. The will participate with other team members to provide timber and carbon investment analysis, harvest scheduling, tactical and long-term resource modelling. The successful incumbent will provide overview and assessment of third-party investment models for purposes of carbon sequestration and direct analytical support for Impact Investment and Hancock Forest Management (HFM) teams.
- All commercial forest investment regions worldwide with a predominant focus on North America.
- Proficient in compliance and voluntary carbon standards, carbon calculations and protocols, forest finance, discounted cash flow analysis, forest inventory, woodflow optimization, GIS systems, and desktop office applications.
- Experience with any of the following: alternative asset classes, real assets, forestry, agriculture, impact investing, sustainable investing, ESG investing, carbon markets, or conservation finance
- Understanding of the investment relevance of sustainability, climate science and policy, natural climate solutions, and carbon sequestration.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with internal groups, third party service providers, advisors, and clients.
- Service the continuous information and communication needs of a diverse group of teams located in multiple regions.
- Knowledgeable in areas of silviculture, forest mensuration, harvest scheduling, timberland appraisal, growth and yield models, and timber supply and demand modeling.
- Familiarity with general forestry operations.
- Member of the HTRG Global Resource Planning Team.
- Reports to – HTRG Director of Global Resource Planning or Associate.
- Forest carbon offset and sequestration modelling
- Preparation of investment and education materials for internal and external stakeholders
- Forest carbon planning and investment modeling to support acquisitions and current assets under management
- Preparation of periodic reports for timberland property carbon stocks, greenhouse gas profiles and other related materials
- Assist with all phases of property acquisition as directed by Director of Global Resource Planning including investment modeling, due diligence, property parcelization, and closing.
- Review of 3rd party property appraisals.
- Review of annual Long-Term Plans (LTPs) and Comprehensive Property Management Plans (CPMPs).
- Support the HTRG accounting and portfolio management teams in providing information and analysis
- Support HTRG Global Forest Operations special projects as needed or requested.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or equivalent experience.
- A graduate degree in a forest related discipline or business is highly desirable.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in carbon modelling, forest management planning, timberland investment planning, or forest operations (graduate degree may be substituted for work experience).
- A robust understanding of forest carbon analytics, carbon markets and trends
- A working knowledge of growth & yield, harvest scheduling, discounted cash flow analysis, forest inventory, silviculture, and forestry operations.
- General knowledge of forestry across all commercial forest investment regions of the world.
- Must have strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Must have proficient writing skill to prepare professional report and management plans.
- Must be team player.
- Must be highly motivated and entrepreneurial.
- Must have strong verbal communication skills.
Hancock Natural Resource Group (HNRG) is committed to being an equal opportunity employer. The Company is committed to employ, train, promote and compensate individuals based on job-related qualifications and ability without regard to race, color, gender identity, disability, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran or marital status.