Harvard Business School seeks full-time Research Associates to work with faculty in our Strategy, Entrepreneurial Management, Finance, Marketing, Negotiation, Organizations and Markets, and Organizational Behavior units. The pre-doctoral researchers will assist with the daily operations of academic projects in a variety of fields, such as competition, management, and innovation. Research often draws heavily on applied econometrics and microeconomic theory. This position is ideal for candidates with an interest in economics who have plans for doctoral studies after working as an RA for two years.
The RAs will report directly to the faculty and administrative manager in the Research Staff Services office. Ideal candidates will be comfortable in an environment that requires a high level of independence, intellectual curiosity, and the ability to use discretionary judgment.
- RAs will develop and maintain expertise in new research methodologies and techniques.
- For quantitative roles, RAs will manage and manipulate data using requested packages, such as STATA, Python, R, or MATLAB.
- For behavioral roles, RAs will manage and manipulate data using qualitative research tools, such as Qualtrics and MTurk. They will also manage IRB submissions.
- Collect, clean, synthesize, and analyze data. Produce statistical models.
- Provide analysis of data exhibits for academic journal articles. Provide statistical analysis and design for reports and presentations.
- Develop, synthesize and provide analysis of literature reviews. May also provide analysis, editing, and drafts for academic journal articles, HBS cases and HBS teaching notes.
- Balance project requests from multiple faculty members, using strong communication and prioritization skills. Must be able to structure assignments and keep faculty member informed as necessary, using own judgment.
- Independently manage all timelines and deliverables. Exercise independent decision making with regard to progression of research project and methodologies.
- Other duties as assigned
These roles are full-time term appointments starting in the summer, through June 30 of the following year. All Research Associate roles at HBS are structured as term appointments. There is strong potential for reappointment, and a preference for candidates willing to commit for two or more years.
The recruiting process is rolling. Applications will be reviewed as they are received, now through spring.
A cover letter is required to be considered for this opportunity. All candidates will be expected to submit a writing sample and transcript. Candidates for quantitative roles will submit sample coding to be reviewed by an HBS statistician.
Harvard Business School will not offer visa sponsorship for this opportunity.
This role is offered as a hybrid (some combination of onsite and remote) where you are required to be onsite at our Boston, MA based campus 2-3 days per week. Specific days and schedule will be determined between you and your manager.
While we continue to monitor the evolving COVID-19 guidelines and restrictions, we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with our interview process. Please note that we will be conducting interviews virtually (phone and or Zoom) for selected candidates until further notice.
Harvard will require COVID vaccination for all Harvard community members who will have any on-campus presence. Individuals may claim exemption from the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons.
Culture of Inclusion: The work and well-being of HBS is profoundly strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and life experiences.